The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here it goes. I cycled the glow plugs twice and attempted to turn the engine over of course i let it turm over for about 3 sec i was going to cycle the plugs again because it didnt start but now heres the problem. When i went to turn the key off the motor still kept cranking over even after removing the keys so i had to take out the negative terminal of the batteries for it to stop. So the question is is it a Ignition switch or is it the solenoid on the starter. If you have an answer call my cell 715-699-2896. im at college hoping to race sled tomorrow but now cant til i fix it. any help would be great. thanks. by the way this site is awesome

·
473 Posts
Problem could be either the ign switch or the wires on the solenoid, or the solenoid itself. Tough to troubleshoot online though....gotta be able to see the wiring.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
I have seen alot of this happening and being related to the ignition cylinder. But it is not always the case, so start with the most simple of the system, the wiring. Make sure everything is grounded properly, then check all the wiring for chaffing or bare spots that sould cause this. Move your way from that to the starter selinoid then the ignition.

Hope this helps,
Tony

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i talked to a friend of mine from the local dealership. he told me to take the starter relay off from underneath the hood. he said if i connected the batteries with the relay out and it still turned over then it is a soleniod on the starter and if it didnt then the problem is the switch. so to be safe i bought a new relay even and tried all of this out. but to my dismay found out it is the solenoid and i had to buy a new starter. ill let you guys know if the starter doesnt help. thanks for all the info. im new to this truck and i already would like to buy something newer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honestly I have the same problem with you. I don't know what to so I order entire MSD brand Ignition Wire Set and change everything but it works fine. Seeing that the starter works but its not engaging the bendix gear. If not then your going to have to change the entire stater assembly. I hope your new starter works. And also remember if planing to keep car long time buy a lifetime warranty one.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys

well i got the starter a few weeks ago and that was the problem. i wish i had bought a new one earlier. this one works like a champ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts