The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic buddy says that he has changed the thermostats before and they still go up and down. I don't think that this can be good for the engine. Also, is it common for a rear main seal to leak at 120,000 miles? Also, the fuel guage doesn't work. I just got this truck off of ebay. It runs good but it doesn't smoke. Guess it hasn't been turned up. I got a new thermostat for it but I haven't changed it yet. Was told it may not help. The steering box also has play in it. What's the best way to fix it? Does anyone know about this? thanks for your input! danny

·
57 Posts
The temp gauge in my truck has always moved up and down. Any semi trucks with the Cummins engine in them did the same thing. Nothing to worry about...its normal...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yup and the dodge front steering setup is weak! Check for slop in all the joints! start at the gear box and work your way out!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I just had my rear main seal replaced when the guy was doing my clutch and I have 150K. There's also kits to replace all the ball joints which is where a lot of the steering slack comes from.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts