The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to plan out a future truck project. I had been planning to find a late 12-valve, based on what little I know about them. I just came across a 1998 24-valve in decent shape (extra cab but 2-door, 4x4, 8800 GVW, all other options, 274k miles) for $8000 obo.

1) Is this a good deal?

2) Is the early 24-valve a good base to start hot-rodding from? The general purpose of the truck will be to test new ISSPRO products (gauges, etc), occasional bracket racing (but more often if the truck works well), 4-wheeling, hauling my camper (about 3300 lbs when stocked), and pulling my race car trailer (~10000 lbs) to races when I may encounter snow on the passes. In other words, I want it to do everything well!

Thanks and regards,
Michael Pliska

·
560 Posts
Michael said:
I am starting to plan out a future truck project. I had been planning to find a late 12-valve, based on what little I know about them. I just came across a 1998 24-valve in decent shape (extra cab but 2-door, 4x4, 8800 GVW, all other options, 274k miles) for $8000 obo.

1) Is this a good deal?

2) Is the early 24-valve a good base to start hot-rodding from? The general purpose of the truck will be to test new ISSPRO products (gauges, etc), occasional bracket racing (but more often if the truck works well), 4-wheeling, hauling my camper (about 3300 lbs when stocked), and pulling my race car trailer (~10000 lbs) to races when I may encounter snow on the passes. In other words, I want it to do everything well!

Thanks and regards,
Michael Pliska

The early 24s...you want to watch for the "53" block...the IP on the early versions had thin pistons that were prone to crack...and then the LP on all the 24s are known for a short lifespan...

On both the early 24 and the 12, you want to check for the KDP (killer dowl pin) and prevent it from moving.

$8k for 274k miles is a little high IMO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts