The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's a 1998 chevy 3500 6.5 has the pmd relocated. Hard start and idles good most of the time sometimes just shuts off like shutting key off when that happens won't restart unless 3/4 of the throttle is down. Also won't idle at that point. When it does idle good usually won't go over 2500 rpms when it does it cuts out badly and smokes white grayish and smells like unburndt diesel no coolant loss. Getting codes p0606 p0251 p0118

·
Registered
364 Posts
How many miles?
For the quick shut-off check the wire to the solenoid on the pump. Also check the harness plug on the firewall, passenger side
Bypassing the solenoid with the tiny vaccum tubing on the driver firewall will get a bit more boost. Just be sure to have a gauge and keep an eye on it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles?
For the quick shut-off check the wire to the solenoid on the pump. Also check the harness plug on the firewall, passenger side
Bypassing the solenoid with the tiny vaccum tubing on the driver firewall will get a bit more boost. Just be sure to have a gauge and keep an eye on it

Has 211,000 I was getting -38 on ect sensor I replaced it and now it's reading 170 when cold it idles good still won't rev over 2500 but stays running and the smoking is way better . Once it warms up it dies and won't restart unless you hold throttle down won't idle and as soon as I put it in gear dies.let it set for several hours fires right up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking the injection pump is bad. When it's cold it idles great will rev up above 2500 but has a bad miss. Once it's up to 170 it dies and gets code p0251 if I try to start it won't start until I hold throttle down and will not idle. If I reset the p0251 it will idle for 20 seconds or several minutes until the check engine comes back on then dies again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts