The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my blend door failed. After some troubleshooting, I discovered the blend door fuse (#24) was blown. I popped a new fuse in and the blend door worked for a day. According to the owner's manual, fuse 24 is for the blend door actuator and the trailer tow battery charge relay coil. I doubt the actuator is causing the fuse to blow and I don't know where the trailer tow battery charge relay coil is located.

Can somebody point me to the relay location? Is there anything else served by this fuse that isn't listed in the owner's manual that could be causing the fuse to blow? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kurt

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow-up: I've driven about a week with both the blend door actuator and the A/C compressor clutch coil unplugged and the fuse hasn't blown. I plugged in the blend door actuator last night and will drive my truck the rest of the week and see if the fuse holds up. I think it will.

I measured 3.5 ohms across the A/C compressor clutch coil when I checked for a short in the coil. Is 3.5 ohms normal?

Can somebody measure the resistance of their clutch coil so I have a comparison?

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Follow-up 2: Went to NAPA to measure the resistance of a replacement compressor clutch coil....same 3.5 ohms.

The fuse hasn't blown while using the blend door actuator the past two days, although I haven't switched the selector to defrost mode yet. Switching to defrost mode "shouldn't" affect the fuse since the compressor is still unplugged.

I really could use some suggestions at this point.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
You mentioned that it's on the same circuit as a trailer wiring connection, any chance you had a trailer hooked when it popped the fuse? Or that you maybe got water in the 7-pin connector?

I just swapped the hitch on my truck from an aftermarket bolt on to a factory bolt-on, and while I was at it, I pulled the 7-pin apart because it was funky. Well, there was more corrosion in that plug than I care for, water had obviously been in the back side for a while, all the wires are oxidized and corroded, so I'm constructing a new harness, installing new plugs, etc.

The clue that something was wrong was that a couple times I hooked trailers and they popped fuses for the trailer lights.

Sent by my right thumb!

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know for sure that the trailer wiring is involved. That is just based on the description of the fuse in the owner's manual. I haven't been able to locate a definitive wiring diagram. I did get a copy of a page that shows all of the A/C circuit for fuse #24 and there is nothing shown regarding the trailer connection.

I don't know exactly when the fuse blew, because my only real indicator was when I noticed the blend door wasn't working. With that said, I did use my trailer around that time, so it is something I will look at.

I do know that I haven't had the trailer hooked up since the first fuse blew and it has blown 3 more times. I also know that it hasn't blown since I disconnected the AC compressor clutch coil. Maybe as the coil heats up, a short develops in the coil :shrugs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts