1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Member in Learning!
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here....

Have a question..

Hi,
I have a friend that is selling a '99 F350 7.3l Turbo . 4 doors, long bed, loaded. Its in pretty nice shape. 160K miles..

I am looking at getting it to pull my trailers. The wheel base is perfect, and the gas mileage on it is around 17 while pulling a loaded horse trailer.

My question is... The price is $9K. Is that a good deal? It is located in Arizona.

Thanks, I appreciate the help...

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
That is a very good deal... Although your mileage figures are WAAAY high. Don't expect much more than 17 unloaded on the highway.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
good price and i betyou dont see 10-12 loaded

·
Diesel Pro
899 Posts
FUEL mileage guys not gas. Ya the 17mpg is a little high. Maby if it was chiped intake and exh you would see that. But loaded you will see like 10mpg. if you were looking at the meter thingy in the truck it called a LIE-O-METER.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Macktruckdriver said:
Maby if it was chiped intake and exh you would see that.
Not towing a horse trailer... Loaded or unloaded.

·
Member in Learning!
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as the mileage being WAAY high..... The thing is almost 10 years.... 16K per year, which is low for this area, especially for horse people, is the norm...

I have seen many owners of this truck with over 300,000 miles on their truck with no problems. AND I have only put 4000 miles on my suburban in the last two years. ---work vehicle keeps my personal mileage down---

Well, the travel trailer I own is a 2006 Trail Sport 27ft. The dry weight is 4200lbs, and loaded it doesn't get over 5500lbs.

My band's equipment trailer fully loaded is around 6500-7000lbs.

This might be a little overkill for my stuff, but the wheel base is what I am after, along with the 7.3l Diesel turbo. I have heard it is one of the best engines that Ford has ever made. My buddy has the new 6.0 and he said it is in the shop @ 3000 miles.

The present owner says she gets 17 with the horse trailer and she is one of the most upfront people I know. She wouldn't bullshit me. But then again, she might have her numbers wrong...

I took it home today, and will be test driving it for a few days. It rides better than I thought the 1 ton would. It does have some small issues. Door locks are weak. I think the switches need to be cleaned out. And the front end shakes when applying the breaks at aroun 40mph.
And the door ajar light being on.

Other than that, I really like it...... I am leaning toward getting it.

thanks

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
your front end shake is probly the brake rotors need turned these trucks are hard on rotors door locks the motors are crap its not the swicthes and the door swicth needs somre wd 40 no more problems good luck with your new truck

·
Member in Learning!
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, I just took it for a spin around the hood, and felt the breaks give and grab..... So we will have to talk about the rotors..

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
if they want 9 000 its worth it my 99 has 230000 and strong as hell get it you wont be sorry

·
Member in Learning!
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way, did I mention that it is a 2wd?

Which is what I am looking for..

The negotiations will start tomorrow..................:givemebeer

·
Member in Learning!
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was way off on the price.... They are asking 12K not 9K.... I dont know how that number got mixed up....

Anyway, we talked it over and came up with $10K.

How does that sound?

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
jmbstudios said:
I was way off on the price.... They are asking 12K not 9K.... I dont know how that number got mixed up....

Anyway, we talked it over and came up with $10K.

How does that sound?
Sounds like a hell of a deal. :Thumbup:

·
2,106 Posts
12 is a great deal. I just saw one here in Redding, CA just like mine but a 2001 with a price of 11,995 in the dealer ads a couple days ago. Wish I didn't owe a bunch on my current truck or have kinda bad credit right now.

·
Member in Learning!
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well thank you to those who chimed in here, and to eveyone in the forum and all the information here that helped me make my decision to enter into the diesel life.

I just bought the truck that was in the 1st post.

1999 F350 XLT Crew Cab, long bed. Has a towing package and gooseneck ball in the bed. Big 'ol Texas size grill guard.

So Thanks, and I look forward to reading and learning a lot here, so I can do my own repairs, within reason, and get tips on improving the truck.

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts