The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, we got our 1st 08 in the shop for a severe oil leak. Seems the oil is running out of the rear main seal in large quantities. Gonna pull the trans after lunch today and see whats up. Thought I would give the heads up if I see this often enough

·
Mafia member #6
1,714 Posts
Where do you work? Do you have the vin# for the truck with the problem?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work at Gene Messer Ford in Lubbock, Texas. I dont have the VIN here with me

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vehicle is a sold unit. I dont think the customer would like that but I will see what I can do

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok the rear engine plate was mis-machined in the seal grove and the oil was seaping past it. Hopefully this is not going to be a common problem but this truck was in the first run produced so........we'll see

·
Powered By Ford
2,438 Posts
this is cute.

·
771 Posts
Thats not a reason to consider it a failure yet. First run trucks are going to teeth a bit. The real factor will be within a year or so. Thank you for the report though.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Ford doesn't need these right out of the gate though...If there are more like this, as there were with the 6.0 they'll be doomed...

·
Registered
183 Posts
bagstroke said:
Ford doesn't need these right out of the gate though...If there are more like this, as there were with the 6.0 they'll be doomed...
Yep we just have to wait and see :popcorn:

·
1,418 Posts
I'll stick with my 6.0L and add some twins then I'll wait till they put a Cummins in there before I buy another Superduty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea but I havent heard of anymore yet so maybe its a fluke.....hopefully!

F

·
0 Posts
I think Rutcutter just wants to know if it's vin# is close to his, incase it was a wider spread problem. Keep us informed on the good, the bad and the ugly.

·
Mafia member #6
1,714 Posts
I just got done with a short 60 some odd mile drive home and all is dry on my rig,got some great mpg's for not being broke in too.. I think this instance was a fluke... Great truck Ford,miles ahead of my 06. :Thumbup:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hope so...What are you getting MPG?

·
2,126 Posts
He got around 15 mpg at 70mph i think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Manual 2500 said:
Thats not a reason to consider it a failure yet. First run trucks are going to teeth a bit. The real factor will be within a year or so. Thank you for the report though.
true but the engine is built somewhere else, and it is very possible that as the engines were coming in, the first ones were to the back or put in the storeage area first, and the next few shipments actually went in the trucks first. this is possible, as I am certaint he factory is not building and waiting on deliveries to finish them.

somehow someway they should get a new supplier. navistar has not been putting out a good product for them, or i should say not a good enough product.

·
302 Posts
The engine has a code on it which in turn tell you the build date of the engine, not coinciding with th ebuild of the truck itself as someone had mentioned. The truck has a build date which of course is labeled on the door. That particular engine could have been built 3 months ago or the day before it went into the truck. I can probaly get you the build date if I had the code for the engine since we are a supplier to Navistar.

thanks,

Mark

1 - 19 of 19 Posts