The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
truck is idling at 1200-1300 in neutral and exsaust is reallllll hot, so im thinking it's stuck in regen mode, gas milalage went into the crapper. this started after I decided i had enough of babying it and drove it hard for about 15 minets. funny thing is when you put in drive and step on the brake it idles down to where should be??? prob something to do with lost vacume....hey wait a sec, maybe a vacume hose is off??? cause when i press real hard the brake petal it will go real low, so maybe the booster not getting enough vacume cause of a vacume leak somewhere, who knows this sucks, the nay sayers are prob lovin this, just thought id let u all know....taking in on monday for reflash and whatever. lets hope the find prob, or at least hope for my sake. by the way i tried everything to get it to stop, ie take for another easy ride, shut it down, let it sit for 2 hours....every time i start it it idles back up after about 3 min or so.

·
3,754 Posts
let us know what they find.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
wow sounds like what my gas burner is doing right now, but mine is doing it iermittently like whe I come up to a stop light put the truck in neutral and the rpms go to 1500 so I put it in drive and turn the a/c then back to normal but with no load I have a surging issue or the idle just hangs a 1100 or so but not all the time ??? don't know what to do

·
191 Posts
its not going to be a vac leak, its got a hydro booster not a vacumm booster.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
ur gasser problem is probably from a bad idle air control valve

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder why when u step on brakes the idle goes down?:shrug: let off goes back up:shrug: and as i said only when in neutral or park and then when i step down hard on brake petal it goes to the floor allmost. freakin weird, im sure they will fig it out but still a pita

·
384 Posts
QUICK83 said:
truck is idling at 1200-1300 in neutral and exsaust is reallllll hot, so im thinking it's stuck in regen mode
You say here that it is in regen, which would be a normal thing...

funny thing is when you put in drive and step on the brake it idles down to where should be???
...and here you say that the idle drops while on the brake.

I thought I had read somewhere that it is normal for the high regen idle speed to drop while on the brake?

Also, you say the truck is "stuck" in regen, but in trying to solve the problem, you've "taken it for another easy ride" and "let it sit for 2 hours" (off I assumed). Have you tried a half-hour drive at highway speed to allow the DPF to get hot and complete the process?

Only trying to help. Sorry I can't help more. Mine is still on order. Hope you get it straightened out!

·
Registered
635 Posts
QUICK83 said:
I wonder why when u step on brakes the idle goes down?:shrug: let off goes back up:shrug: and as i said only when in neutral or park and then when i step down hard on brake petal it goes to the floor allmost. freakin weird, im sure they will fig it out but still a pita
Thats normal, also wait an extra second before putting it in gear.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I thought this thing wasn't supposed to go into regen mode unless you were moving? That is a problem if it's doing this while he's not moving?

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
They can, and will re-gen at ANY time.

Stepping on the brake will cause it to return to normal idle as a built-in safety.

The only time it will idle-up is in "P" or "N", and you SHOULD NOT be ideling it anyway. You idle, you get regen!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Liftedpsd said:
I thought this thing wasn't supposed to go into regen mode unless you were moving? That is a problem if it's doing this while he's not moving?
His hasn't been re-flashed yet....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow thanks guys....prob all just normal stuff and its all new so its strange to me ( I built my 83 stang from the ground up) of course that dont mean i know jack about this truck, but some times a little knowledge is dangerous...and i am a worry wart as you can tell from my past posts.I,m gonna drive it 30-50 miles or so to work 7 to the dealer on mon and take it in after work for the re flash anyways so we will see what happens, probebly after my ride to work(30 miles) on mon am it will go back to normal mode. this may be my 1st real regen and the other times was some cycle of test they had the eng go through when had lets say less than 500 miles,,....thanks again for your info and ideas.......roy

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,448 Posts
QUICK83 said:
prob something to do with lost vacume....hey wait a sec, maybe a vacume hose is off??? cause when i press real hard the brake petal it will go real low, so maybe the booster not getting enough vacume cause of a vacume leak somewhere,
The brakes ain't hydroboost?

Adrianspeeder

·
3,754 Posts
John_G said:
They can, and will re-gen at ANY time.

Stepping on the brake will cause it to return to normal idle as a built-in safety.

The only time it will idle-up is in "P" or "N", and you SHOULD NOT be ideling it anyway. You idle, you get regen!
I thought (maybe just a gm thing(and no Im not starting a war)) but they only regened at 30mph or above, maybe htats jsut a gm thing but that is waht I was hearing. I dont want regen when parekd in a hay field or something hitching up to a wagon etc talkign to somone.

·
Registered
126 Posts
thejdman04 said:
I thought (maybe just a gm thing(and no Im not starting a war)) but they only regened at 30mph or above, maybe htats jsut a gm thing but that is waht I was hearing. I dont want regen when parekd in a hay field or something hitching up to a wagon etc talkign to somone.
I don't actually own one, but it was my understanding that that is what the reflash is for. Some who knows could maybe shed some light on the reason for the reflash?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The truck was just in regen mode, fine now, so i guess i'll get relashed and move on, now that i know what to expect. boy does gas milage go down when it regenerates!!!....thanks for induldging all my worrying for nothing guys. :poke: go ahead i deserve it.:shrug:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quick, I have just over 1K miles on mine, and it has went into regen while parked twice. I have never had the time to sit there and allow it to finish. I just step on the brake pedal to idle it down and shut it off. I figured it would finish the regen while I drive home.

The first time it went into regen I was parked close to a holly bush. The exhaust pipe was about 3' away from the bush, and it scortched the leaves after running about 5 minutes. I just shut it down and went about my business. Remember folks, you still have some control over the truck. If you don't want it go into regen while idleing when its in PARK and your foot is off the brake pedal, shut it off..... It not gonna push you through a intersection or into the back of another vehicle....

As far as the "reflash" goes, as I understand it, it only addresses catastrophic temperatures (fire) inside the DPF. It has nothing to do with how and when the truck regens. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea thats a great observation!! can just step on brake if trying to shut her down while in regen!!!!! that way u will not be in a high idle dumping all that fuel into the motor...ford should have done a info sheet on regen so we did not have to fig this out. just with regen charicteristics and what to expect.

ROY'S REGEN RULES/INFO0:

1. fuel milage will drop significanyly...normal
2. If u need to shut down during regen, then step on brake to idle down then shut off.saves leaving an engine full of fuel.
3. Will take prob 30 min of driving to clear regen....normal
4. If regen while need to stay in idle be carefull where park so do not start fire.
5.Drive hard or tow? = more frequent regens!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
It would be nice for Ford to add a message on the digital read-out to say that the truck was entering a regen mode..... I would find that a whole lot more useful than the "door ajar" warning.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts