The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TDG Mafia 36
Joined
·
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between 2 cycle oils? I went to Walmart the other day, and saw 2 cycle oil, and then out board 2 cycle oil. Is there a difference?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
there is a difference in them one is for hotter burning engines that rev higher and I believe it was a ash formula and the other is for more mild 2 stroke motors and it's either low ash or ashless. contact moparman he will have the answer. I just run the cheap supertech 2stroke oil.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Dang... You beat me to the punch....LOL

This is the one most are using..


As long is its ASHLESS & TCW-3 you good...
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
348 Posts
Yep tc-3 non syn ashless you are good to go. I use a oil rom citgo Used for outboard boat eng and snowmobiles.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
307 Posts
Does the two stroke oil really help that much? I've read alot about it some say that it helps and some say that it doesn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
iwannagofast said:
Does the two stroke oil really help that much? I've read alot about it some say that it helps and some say that it doesn't.

It does, wait for your VP44 to start acting up. Then add some. :Thumbup:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
307 Posts
I read one of mopar1973man's web pages. Does the 2 cycle oil increase the btu's? I was able to figure out that it does increase the lubricity, but what can I add during the winter to keep the fuel from gelling and not counter act the 2 cycle oil?

Also, I feel like a complete dumba$$ asking but, what does my tank hold exactly?:damnit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
just wondering how yall are dishing out the oil for each tank, i get the whole 1 ounce/gal but interested if anyone's got an easy dosage method?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
iwannagofast said:
I read one of mopar1973man's web pages. Does the 2 cycle oil increase the btu's? I was able to figure out that it does increase the lubricity, but what can I add during the winter to keep the fuel from gelling and not counter act the 2 cycle oil?

Also, I feel like a complete dumba$$ asking but, what does my tank hold exactly?:damnit
Either 34 or 35 Gallons... (Pretty sure)

I'm currently working on testing 2 cycle oil for its ability of Anti-geling... Snowmobile oil is good down to -40*F to -50*F in pour points. I've found a few MSDS on 2 cycle oil the use the same "pour point depressants" that diesel fuel additives and diesel fuel company use...

But I'm still hard at work trying to get the materials together in my spare time to do the testing.

(For what its worth... :shrug: )
As for my records though... I've made it down to -20.2*F with only 2 cycle oil (snowmobile) in the fuel. Left the truck parked in New Meadows, ID at this temp for 2 hours and start cold and ran fine. No gelling issues at all...

Low history temp... (Jan. 16, 2006)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
hemichallenger said:
just wondering how yall are dishing out the oil for each tank, i get the whole 1 ounce/gal but interested if anyone's got an easy dosage method?
Simple...

If you pump 20 gallons you need 20 ozs... I carried a quart bottle for measure with. Normally I just keep the quart bottle full and just pour in what I need.

But if you run your tank nearly empty (well below 1/4 tank) I just add a quart to the tank...
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
307 Posts
The record low here in 1987 was -16* so I think that I will be ok with just the 2 stroke oil.:Thumbup:

You have awesome web pages on just about anything cummins!!!:bow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Walmart sell a graduated funnel with a cap and a shut off valve that i use.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
I use the walmart empy water bottle thats 20 oz cuz normally I put 18-22 gal in my truck when I fill up it works great. I have a 5 gal fuel jug that I put the 2 stroke oil in and then add it to my bottles and it's easy for me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
iwannagofast said:
The record low here in 1987 was -16* so I think that I will be ok with just the 2 stroke oil.:Thumbup:

You have awesome web pages on just about anything cummins!!!:bow:
Check back often I'm still building pages of the site and add more information when I can...

Thanks For the great comments! :Thumbup:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top