The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about half way through the first tank of 2 stroke mix in my 96 PSD. I would not have believed the difference it has made in the noise of my truck. The injectors are way quieter, it idles smoother, and seems to be doing better on mileage(just guestimating so far). After reading what MoparMan posted and doing some research it seemed like a good idea.
I think that most are a little skeptical trying something like this in our expensive motors, and so was I, but my engine was getting noticeably noiser than when I got it a few years ago so I knew I had to try something. I changed my fuel filter before I started so I will see how dirty the filter is after a few tanks.
For whats its worth I think its a worthwhile investment and something that I would highly recommend to other old PSD owners.

Greg G:smoke

·
TDG Mafia #95
1,071 Posts
Agreed. I've been using it in my truck for a couple months now and I love it. I ran into a problem about a week ago when my toolbox was frozen and I couldn't get into it to get my oil out.:damnit I couldn't believe the difference just on the first tank. What oil are you using?

·
Registered
30 Posts
? please explain

Can you please explain why your putting 2 stroke oil in your fuel? I'm not breaking balls im just curious what the advantages are and why you would do it. Does it plug up your injectors? You get better fuel mileage? What benefits? Sounds interesting

Thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts
jkdank said:
Can you please explain why your putting 2 stroke oil in your fuel? I'm not breaking balls im just curious what the advantages are and why you would do it. Does it plug up your injectors? You get better fuel mileage? What benefits? Sounds interesting

Basically your getting some lubrication back in the ultra low sulfer diesel by using it. Ive ran it through a few tanks now and agree it does quietin motor noise. Use ashless 2-cycle oil 1oz. per gallon. (MoparMan 1973) has all the information you need to know about it.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
me too i was very weriy about useing it but i have run about 1000 gals thru the 7.3 with 1 oz per gal 2 cycle mix i'm using the wal mart marine brand its about 8 bucks a gal try it youll be sold also
steve

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
I was skepticle myself i still have half of the big bottle of Power Service That i have not thought of using. Surprisingly also i dont smoke as much either. Mileage is better and idle is quiter.

·
Riding solow on the Hog
286 Posts
And Ive been using Valvoline 2cycle for so long now its become automatic. HOWEVER. Ive recently started running percentages of biodiesel, and notice that it has the very same effect. Soon (within the next month or so) Im going to start running straight bio. Well see how that goes. Ill not run any more straight ULSD without a smidge of 2stroke, tho.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Can you use Power Services too? Or is it not needed? The place I buy my diesel from already puts winter additive in the diesel. Also, do you add the 2 cycle after your done filling, so you know exactly how much to use, or do you put it in first, and dilute it while filling? It seems that diluting while filling would agitate and mix it better?:shrug: I'm just curious because i'm tossing around the idea of using it. thanks

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
i put it in before i fill you can kinda guess on how many gals/oz's youll need. it wont hurt it too be a little rich/lean

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a thread in the 6.0 section from MoparMan that explains all the benefits of using 2 stroke. Very informative reading and he makes some excellent points. I am also using the WalMart brand, I think any brand would work as long as it meets the TCW3 rating and is ashless.
I am still totally amazed at the difference in just the first few gallons of usage. My PSD wont see another gallon of ULSD without the 2 stroke along with it.
If Bio was more redily available I would use it but there is only 1 place in the Memphis area that sells it and its like 40 miles from my house.

All I can say is try it, you will be surprised and your truck will love you for it.

Greg G

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
ryan said:
Can you use Power Services too? Or is it not needed? The place I buy my diesel from already puts winter additive in the diesel. Also, do you add the 2 cycle after your done filling, so you know exactly how much to use, or do you put it in first, and dilute it while filling? It seems that diluting while filling would agitate and mix it better?:shrug: I'm just curious because i'm tossing around the idea of using it. thanks
hey ryan i dont like the power services crap i saw a loss of mpg with it(diesel kleen) and its over priced 15 bucks out here in ca 1 gal of 2cyl 8 bucks so 2 cyl is a wee bit more per gal but its worth the extra $ IMHO

·
TDG Mafia #95
1,071 Posts
I just fill up a 20 oz mt dew bottle and pour her in when I get to about 1/4 tank. It takes 20 gallons to fill from just above 1/4 for me

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
bluovaltruk01 said:
I just fill up a 20 oz mt dew bottle and pour her in when I get to about 1/4 tank. It takes 20 gallons to fill from just above 1/4 for me
I do about the same thing on my OBS every time I fill up. I fill the MTD bottle about 3/4 full for the front and dump it in, and the same for the back. I thought that it was a joke doing this unitl I tried it. I love it, the truck idles so much quieter and you can hear the motor much better as well.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
no guys your doin it the hard way dump a gal 2 cyl oil in the 105 gal tank in the back while buying about 140 gals of diesel thats the easy way LOL LOL LOL LOL
THE SUCHEY PART IS PAYIN FOR ALL THAT DIESEL:sofa

·
Riding solow on the Hog
286 Posts
Hahahahaha! Camo, good one.... I process my own biodiesel, so availability hasnt been a problem, really... 42.00 and some of my time for a tankload of good bio beats the livin hell out of over a 100.00 for a tankload of non lubricating Fossil, IMHO... And besides, them Arabs have way too much of my loot already!

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
ryan said:
Ryan, I ran that PS stuff in my truck for awhile and decided it was total crap. Didn't to a thing to mileage, didn't make the truck run any better, etc. Just left a hole in my wallet. I decided to run 2 stroke oil in my truck cause I had some left over in my boat from the summer and I didn't want for it to sit all winter. Damn, I'm glad I did. I can honestly say that the motor runs quieter, smoother, and MPG has increased. To mix it, I am using a mixing bottle that I bought at either Walmart or Bass Pro. It's a tall clear bottle with different ratios (50:1, 40:1, etc) written out on the sides, along with just plain onces on the side. I usually run a 128:1 ratio (give or take a little), thats one ounce per gallon. The opening of the mixing bottle is the exact size of the filler neck. I noticed that if I do a full bottle (or close to it, 30oz) that I would end up spilling some. So, now I will stop fueling half way through, then dump in 20oz. Wait for the pump to click off, then put in the right amount to make it 128:1. Then I top off the tank. I started off running Penzoil stuff from Bass Pro cause its what I had, but now I'm using the Super Tech (Walmart brand) 2 stroke oil. I'm buying it by the gallon. Each gallon will last roughly 4 fill ups.

·
TDG Rocks!
393 Posts
:agreed: Just to add i tried some 10w-30 about a 1/2 qt and it seemed todo the same as the 2-cycle that i ran thru the back one. will put new fuel filter to see what i burned out. but my OBS sounds quiter then my pops 01 psd. before it was way louder. :secret:

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
i like using klotz 2 cycle oil. its a little pricey, but it smells good when burnt.

·
117 Posts
i just put 2-stroke oil in my truck and i can also tell a difference

1 - 20 of 34 Posts