The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
what does not kill you ..
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am switching from a Ford to a dodge.

Just bought a 2008 3500. One of the things I will miss is the option to back up my trailer in 2 wheel low. In my old truck, Ford, I just put it in 4 wheel low and left the hubs unlocked. I have to back up my 14,000 lbs 35 foot trailer over 550 feet and around a corner to get it in my driveway. low makes this very easy. I think it is easier on the tranny also.

There must be a way to block the front axle from locking in 4 wheel low. I assume it is vacuum actuated?

Thanks in advance.

·
2 Posts
There is a way to make your truck have 2wd low. I did it on my 99 and love it for the same reason, able to back a trailer with out issues. Mine was vacuum operated and I switched to a cable system for less than $200 and have never regreted it. Summit racing has the one and there are other companies, just do a google search. Took me less than 2 hrs start to finish to install.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Could get some free spin/locking hubs as well.... just a thought, it will be just like your ford then, there are a few companies out there that make kits
http://www.dynatrac.com/products_freespin_dodge.html
and its better than farmer rigging your truck :thumbsup
For me the electronic t-case has never been a problem:wave

·
1,224 Posts
Its vacuum. For a couple of $ just need to get a small valve to put in the vacuum line. IIRC it takes a vacuum to shift the axle into 4x4. With the valve, you close the valve before shifting into low or 4x4. This prevents the vacuum from reaching the shifter thus you have low 4x2. I have done this on several rigs that I tow sprayers with to be able to use low 4x2 all day when I don't need 4x4.

·
what does not kill you ..
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure that this is an option for the newer dodges. I did not think they had the CAD (center axle disconnect) ???

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
Not possible on 2005s (and up) unless you have manual locking/unlocking hubs. The front axle and drive-shaft are connected/rotating all the time.

Garrett

·
Registered
221 Posts
Are you sure that this is an option for the newer dodges. I did not think they had the CAD (center axle disconnect) ???
Yup,
Dodge got rid of the junk CAD system when they switched to AAM axles in 2003. The only way to get the feature that you want it to do a free spin kit like the one from Dynatrac. Their are a bunch of other advantages as well.:thumbsup

·
1,224 Posts
Not possible on 2005s (and up) unless you have manual locking/unlocking hubs. The front axle and drive-shaft are connected/rotating all the time.

Garrett
Forgot :damnitabout the change over.

·
16 Posts
Spent the money and got the free spin kit from EMS off road. Installed but not tested. The truck is off the road till Spring.

·
750 Posts
what you will find is that your 08 will have a low reverse.

·
16 Posts
Unfortunately I installed the kit as soon as I bought the truck. So i have no before and after. I use the 2 wheel low all the time, and love it. With an auto backing up a 14,000lbs trailer is tough on the tranny.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts