The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I have a 2000 F250 Power stoke 7.3 that is having some issues. I noticed that it was loosing power while I was driving. I could watch the rpms move down and back up while not moving the gas pedal. Last weekend while on the high way it fluttered and died like it was getting water in the fuel line. I let is sit for 5 minutes and it started back up no problem. I changed the fuel filter and this did not help it still flutters while driving. Could this be the fuel Pump? I have read that cleaning the water separator may help but having much experience working on a power stroke I cannot figure out where the separator is at. I changed the overflow drain last month could I have gotten air in the fuel lines. Any help would be much appreciated.

Brian

·
Registered
239 Posts
This sounds like CPS to me. Camshaft Position Sensor. Very common problem on 7.3L's and you are probably at the mileage/age that they usually go out. You might start with a search of "CPS" and read through the info - it should answer all of your questions. If it's not the CPS then you will learn about something that will eventually become an issue for you! LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Might sound very dumb... but mine was a little low on oil (when the HPOP was leaking) and did the same thing..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Low On Oil

I added a quart of oil and the problem has diappeared. Thanks for the help you saved me alot of time and money.Where should I send your check :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
If it was low enough on oil to make it run rough, it will need more than a quart to fill it back up! LOL

Glad it was simple and you got it figured out...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts