The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 international 4700 dump truck with a DT466e and an Allison trans. Truck ran fine up until yesterday when it started acting like it was missing and acts like the engine is in limp mode. Gauges cycled like when you first turn the ignition on. Diagnostic button showed several inactive codes with several different systems which leads me to believe there is a bad ground or a short somewhere. Truck will start and idle fine but will not accelerate or rev up. Any ideas where to start looking or am I even on the right track? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
So is it acting like you are turning the key off and back on? I’ve had worn out and faulty ignition key switches do that - especially if you have a heavy key chain. Try wiggling the key itself and see if you can reproduce the problem. Do the same for the plug on the back of the key switch. These old trucks are notorious for the connectors getting wore out and not making connection.
Also open up the battery box and clean all the connections. Take everything off and clean them. There is a fuse on the positive power cable, be sure to check the fuse in there.
Clear the codes and test drive, pull codes when the problem comes back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks it does it whenever you touch the accelerator pedal. Starts acting like it’s missing and the truck won’t go over about 15 or 20 mph. The fuse in the battery box is on my list to check. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The inactive codes I believe were from the previous owner when they did the in frame on the motor.
the fuse in the battery box was good. Had a computer put on it a few days ago, there were no codes active or inactive, and the live date showed everything was good. I’ve checked over the turbo system and all of that seems fine. Changed fuel filters and they were all clean inside. Attached is a video of what it is doing. Not sure if it will open.

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/e0/00/1E09A421-79DC-4968-B209-553C93085A2F/IMG_0788.mov

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will go to missing really bad around 1900-2100 rpms. If you let out and go back to idle and ease back into it you can rev it up 4 or 5 time past 2000 rpms before it will do it again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts