The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a new truck at work...its a 2000 F-550 with the 7.3, anyways...its freakin slow, one of my buddy's has an edge evolution that he said i could hook up. my question is..if i ran it on the 60hp tune would i hurt the tranny or have to worry about egt's? or anything else? last thing i wanna do is hurt it...
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
It's slow because it weighs almost 10K empty LOL

I would avoid the evolution at least until you know some service life on the truck.

I'm not a fan of the off-the-shelf tunes from big corporations, so I would advise you to consider another tuning source.

prt

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya its got like 5.38 gears lol but i mean ive never drivin anything this slow...service record i no, because the company bought the truck new in 2000 and is now turning it into a little service truck. its got 64,000 on it

·
928 Posts
I have an Edge Evolution. I know it's not very popular on this site, but I like it. It's pretty easy to hook up and it has electronic gauges so you can monitor various temps (tranny, egt's, etc..). I run it on the middle setting, 80HP 140TQ, and I havent noticed any issues. Temps are good, truck shifts great, etc...

Just my 2 cents. :happymugs

·
The one and only
410 Posts
Just get ya some gauges and a good custom tuned chip and drive it. It will be money well spent and will pick it up a little.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
Why would you put money into a truck that's not even yours? Its a company truck.
To make it better for himself since he has to drive it every day.

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
big stroker is right... i asked my boss and he said he pay for half of it so... like im no kidding guys ive never in my life drivin somethin so slow....im floored to do 65 mph at 2300 rpm....

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
I'm floored to do 65 mph at 2300 rpm....
Gearing.

It might not go fast @ highway speeds, but I'll bet it would pull your house all the way up to that speed.

It might take it an hour to get there . . .

So the boss will pay for 1/2 the tuning. Do you haul/tow with it?

How fast do you expect it to go?

prt

·
Robby Thompson
95 Posts
E-bay! It maybe slow but your holeshot should be quick. At least from 1st to 2nd.:haha

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its a service truck...got about 300 gallons of diesel, and oils and such...and tools. and the other day i was on a job site and i had to back over a 1 foot tall wind row of dirt...and i was floored and it barley made it over... and im not lookin for really fast....just so i can stay with traffic and it dosnt take me a mile to get to that speed...

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pluged it in to r scanner and nothin came up. i made a boost leak tester and theres no boost leaks...i dont know wat else to check on these powerstrokes

·
626 Posts
pluged it in to r scanner and nothin came up. i made a boost leak tester and theres no boost leaks...i dont know wat else to check on these powerstrokes
What kind of scanner did you use? Some of the generic code readers like you'd find at Vatozone can't read Powerstroke-specific codes--for those you need a good scanner (Snap-On, Termy Scan Gauge, etc...).

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ours is a matco pro scan 1000 i think....its a good one

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heres the truck and a video, this is with the edge evolution on the 60hp setting.

Attachments

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
ya its got like 5.38 gears lol but i mean ive never drivin anything this slow...service record i no, because the company bought the truck new in 2000 and is now turning it into a little service truck. its got 64,000 on it
It has 4.88's.

Assuming it's an auto, I don't think a 60HP setting would hurt it until you start flogging it or towing heavy, then you'll destroy the feeble 4R100 transmission. It's barely able to withstand the stock power not to mention 60 more HP.

Rest of the truck is a pretty good solid truck.

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wat could we do to the tranny to help her out? i dont wanna cook the tranny...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts