The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the long story starts out with my truck having problems shifting gears. So, I figure it's got to be the clutch master. I need my truck for work and decide, it's best to just pay for it to get fixed. I head over to EAST BAY FORD TRUCKS IN OAKLAND, CA. The service guys says it's definitely not the clutch master. I say it's so. The mechanic says it's so and changes that out. Test drove fine. I pick it up and when I step on the clutch, it stays on the floor. I tell the service guy and he says he knew it wasn't the master and says it's the pressure plate. I said I don't think so, I think it's the clutch fork. The mechanic (3 of them) figure the clutch fork is somehow misaligned. Now the service manager says it'll be $440 labor plus a new clutch fork. And I should be changing out the clutch. I tell him they misaligned the clutch fork when they stuffed the clutch master in. They won't eat the cost. So, I told him I'd rather fix it myself.

Sorry for the rant, but I was nervous bringing in my truck to the dealer and now I know why. The last time I was robbed, the guy had a gun.

Anyway, has anyone had a problem with their clutch fork? I figure I'm going to need to pull the tranny because there's no way to get to the fork from the clutch master hole.

·
Diesel Enthusiast
234 Posts
Yes, the 1999 and 2000 year trucks have a weak clutch fork, buddy of mine just went through all of that. $40 part ends up costing much, much more in time and money.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've snapped one on my 2000 also...definately a weak point in the system. While you're in there you might as well order a kevlar bushing (I'm sure So Grand carries those also) the needle bearing on the input shaft is another weak link. I went through four before I found out about the kevlar bushing.

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stand corrected. I yanked that tranny and the fork is broken. I'm trying to locate a fork at a local dealership today (Saturday). The clutch disc looks like it has plenty of meat left (from what I can see without dropping the pressure plate).

How hard is it to pull that pilot with the clutch in place?

Dan, where are you located and how much for the fork, throw out bearing and kevlar pilot?

·
2,334 Posts
iirc you cant pull that bearing with the clutch or flywheel inplace.. well wait is that a dual mass flywheel? i just did one at work last week and the pilot being had to be driven outa the flywheel dont remember witch direction tho. you could try a slide hammer i reckon.

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I took a look at the pilot bearing. Didn't feel sloppy. It looks like a conventional diaphragm pressure plate and disc. That would need to come off to get to the pilot. Just much easier. I needed to get my truck on the road and had to hunt all the dealerships to get one. The new clutch fork is redesigned. Hopefully, it'll last. I replaced the t/o bearing. I can't believe part of the t/o bearing is made of plastic. Also, the clutch fork pivot/stud is made of plastic. I'd be pretty upset if that came apart and I needed to drop that monster tranny to replace it.

Any suggestions for a replacement clutch when the time comes? I've used CenterForce on my gas engines. This is my first diesel and I don't know if I'd be better off with OEM.

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts