The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.. I just bought a 2003 lariat 6.0 f350 crew cab dually 4x4. 115k miles. It's absolutely beautiful. Clear coat still 100% minimal dings. Engine was studded and egr was deleted.
I test drove it hard and felt no problems with the transmission. I bought it.
I drove it about 500 miles home. The next day I got in it and noticed at a stop it felt like it's in neutral. As I step on the accelerator it will engauge 1st gear. Sometimes it acts normal and will take off as a normal automatic would.. Today I noticed if I step on the accelerator harder, i feel a slight clunk then engagement into 1st. Only sometimes. No dtc codes. I pulled the transmission pan and noticed that it was extremely clean. Almost no metal. Not even on the magnet. 1 or 2 tiny drops of metal powder on the bottom. I've only seen one or two threads on this and have not seen any definitive fix. Can anyone help? The fluid looks and smells good. Almost like a recent flush. I do not know if they used sp. My plan was to install the 6.4 pan and refill / flush with sp fluid. After researching I think that I might need to replace the solenoid body, and all the solenoids? Is there 1 particular solenoid that I should check/ replace? I also plan on checking the grounds. Can someone point me to some threads on this? I dont know if its the 4r100 or the 5r110w. The pan, filter and solenoid setup looks like the 5r110w

I'm going to go down to transparts warehouse on monday and talk to the guys down there. But I thought I'd ask here and see if I can get some info from some knowledgeable guys here first.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

·
1,213 Posts
You should start by getting a good scan tool and looking for codes. I am guessing it isn't really a transmission issue, but that is just a guess. ForScan Lite is a download to a smartphone and it will read codes very thoroughly - even transmission codes. The download is $5. You will also need an OBDII adapter - Bluetooth for Android and WiFi for iOS. I like the BAFX brand because it is pretty good and fairly cheap (apprx. $40).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have an older modis. There are no codes. No problems come up with the ford diagnostic tests.

·
1,213 Posts
I don't know if the modis can read the 5R110W codes or not - I know ForScan can.

All 6.0's have the 5R110W

1 - 4 of 4 Posts