The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 F350 has been an absolute work horse and has over 300K on it . Recently there a small leak in the radiator . I had the radiator replaced and now the truck overheats all the time . Any suggestions ?

If I leave the truck idling it does not overheat but start driving it and it overheats within a couple of miles

Any advice greatly appreciated

·
1,324 Posts
Who replaced it? I'd agree thermostat but suprised they didn't suggest it when the radiator was changed out. What coolant did they put in hopefully ford gold flavored. I had to replace mine and found a good used one at the spare parts yard.

Reactions: Stormgreen

·
3,051 Posts
Is the fan clutch hooked up and working?

Harry

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond . The radiator was replaced by Meineke . They also installed a new thermostat after I returned the truck because it was seriously overheating . However this did nothing to stop the problem

Is it possible that a blown gasket would be causing the problem ? If so any idea what I should expect to pay to resolve the problem

I will try the ford gold coolant but it would appear that the over heating is so serious that there must be a more serious problem .

Not sure about the fan ? How would I confirm whether it is working ?

Again thank you very much for the advice

·
Old Fart
889 Posts

·
1,324 Posts
You need to find out what coolant they put in it. If they used green glycol you will have a clogged oil cooler and EGR cooler which will be a big problem fast.

Fan will lock up around 225 coolant temp and roar like a jet engine. You can pick up a scangauge to see the fan speed. I'd recommend it to see your oil and coolant temp.

Engine rpm 2000 at 190 deg fan speed around 600-700
Engine rpm 2000 at 215 deg fan speed around 1500 rpm
Engine rpm 2000 at 225 deg fan speed around 3000 rpm.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/. Pick them up online or autozone.

When you say overheating is that the temp gauge or is coolant coming out of the degas(coolant) tank?

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am using Dexcool Prestone coolant . I notice the roaring sound when it begins to overheat ( I'm glad I now know what this is ) . Usually begins to happen after about 5 miles

The gauge then goes off the charts and there is a tremendous amount of steam , pressure and fluid on the degas tank lid - just going near it looks as if it's about to explode

Again , much appreciate the advice . Just trying to make smart financial decision on trucks future ( I got a new transmission and new fuel injectors last year )

·
3,051 Posts
Got to start from the begining on this one...

1. Was it overheating like this before you took it in for the radiator?

2. Dexcool is the wrong coolant to mix with any of the original Ford gold coolant and can contaminate and clog the cooling system if the two were mixed.

3. I'm suspecting your cooling system is either totally clogged up and contaminated, or you have a blown egr cooler or blown headgasket-s or both, especially if it's puking coolant out of the cap.

Harry

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great questions Harry . The strange thing is that it only began to overheat when the radiator was replaced . The radiator had a small leak for at least 6 months and we never had any over heating issues until we replaced it

Ok - need to use correct coolant .

Sounds more and more like a blown gasket - just strange that we only had issues once the radiator was replaced ?

·
3,051 Posts
I agree that it is strange that all this occured after the new radiator. Possible coincidence or just bad luck or a faulty repair somehow, as if something was left inside a hose (rag or something) causing a restriction.

Best thing you can do is have a known reputable 6.0L PowerStroke tech in your area have a look at it and give you an evaluation of the situation before jumping the gun.

Harry

·
1,324 Posts
Did some searching its possible the plastic impeller died on the water pump.

Reactions: amdriven2liv

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
There is also the possibility that there is something seriously wrong with this new radiator. Where did Mieneke get this radiator from? Was Dex used as the coolant before the radiator changeout? Who recommended Dex for this motor? Ford gold will gel up with ANY other type of coolant and it takes a lot of work to do a perfect flush before changing types.

Sometimes it best to look at the first variable before looking at all the other possibilities that could be wrong. You can get deep into your wallet trying to sort out a diesel.

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
721 Posts
I've seen very cheap lower hoses collapse. Did they install an aftermarket thermostat setup and maybe put it in backwards? I don't even know if this can be done on a 6.0. I have had on my own a cracked impeller on the waterpump. And last do you have air flow thru everything in front of the radiator?

·
1,213 Posts
+3 (or 4) that the problem just might be Meineke. Find out more about what they did and the parts they used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts