The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 04 and passenger side battery has bad connection on red wire that supplys altenator circuit. The connection was intermittent and is now repaired. There is a heavy draw on the red wire. I have to disconnect otherwise batteries will totally discharge. I suspected leaky diode in alternator. Replaced altenator but no change. Resistance to ground shows no short. ANY ideas?

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery drain

I checked all connections. I have a 10 amp draw with batteries out of circuit on small red cable

·
3,533 Posts
With the engine shut off put a wrench to the pulley if it is attracted then the alternator field is not shutting down.
Just a thought!

·
721 Posts
The large red wire goes directly to the battery positive (sometimes thru a fuse link). If you have a load on it your alternator or regulator is bad.

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery drain

Finally got back to battery issue. Dug out old ammeter. Draw on battery to cab is 300 ma. On red to alternator it is 1.4A. Disconnect alternator it is still same. Problem points to glow plug controller.

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery Drain

I monitored draw with ammeter as I removed all fuses. There was no change so I went back under hood. Only thing that could draw high current was altenator or controller. It was glow plug controller. Most probable cause was broken wire on postive post on battery. Ir must have arced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts