The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Jeep Grand Charokee (WJ) 2WD... Not an off roader, but figured you guys could help!!! The thing has 120K miles and is a road warrior I use for home health... Got it with 88K on it... I had an 02 that didn't lag like this one...

This thing is SLUGGISH between 50-60MPH and 2200-2800RPM... Stock except for K&N drop in and cut up air box... I have done the following:

Tune up, Surp belt, Fuel filter, K&N air filter (cleaned every 5K with oil change), BG products in oil and gas, sea foam in gas...

There is 2 pre-cats and a normal cat... Thinkin about gutting the normal cat and checkin the o2 sensors...

Am I missing something??

·
211 Posts
I would check the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor (if it has a cap and rotor).

Use lots of dielectric grease on the wires.

Put a thin layer of RTV on the base of the cap to seal the water out.

Woody

·
211 Posts
I forgot to mention that you might also want to check your fuel filter and/or fuel pump.

Woody

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
Tune-up usually covers spark plug and distributer, and he said he did a fuel filter already...

Did you check to see if it's throwing any codes?

·
211 Posts
Do a compression test. It is cheap and easy, and will tell you about the health of the internal components of the engine.

Run a couple tanks of 93 octane fuel with some injector cleaner, it may be a partially plugged injector.

Get a laser thermometer (about $15 at Harbor Freight) and point it at the exhaust manifold right near the head at each exhaust valve, with the engine running. Make sure all the cylinder temps are close.

Woody

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just did the fuel filter this past weekend... I tuned it up about 25K ago... Have yet to check codes but have not had a light come one... I can have the compression checked, by bud has that guage... Thanks for the help!

·
shes smart!
161 Posts
I would check out the cats, at night drive the jeep around and get it up to temp then get out look at the cats if they are really bad they should be glowing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh good tip!! Sure drives like a dog... I frequent a jeep forum and they seem to think that its normal... My 02 4.0 was nothing this sluggish!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts