The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - got a question. I'm new to diesels, but have done a bit of research and asking around. I'm looking for a daily driver (15 miles/day to and from work) and a horse/hay (2-5 tons) hauling rig for summer time, all in one vehicle. I've been looking at '01-'03 SuperDutys, after reading that 6.0's have expensive issues, and the but haven't found one yet that's nice enough inside for daily use, and is in the condition I want, for under 17K.

I've found a 2006 LBZ Duramax, and want to know what I should be looking out for, mainly in the engine/transmission. This rig is 4 hours away, and it's listed ($12,400) at 8k below average kbb/nada values, yet still sounds and looks like a good deal:

2006 2500 Duramax LS 6.6L
LBZ w/ 6-sp Allison (a given, I think)
current owner: 2 years, all hwy miles, garaged
168k miles (I know - high miles - but still fairly young for a diesel?)
CC LB
Leather seats (heated?), cd/bose
Manual locks/windows (OK with me)
Oil changes every 5k
No repairs except trans.fluid change
Towing: 3000-5000 lbs. - occasionally
VIN/carfax soon to come
Never wrecked, clean title
All stock, according to seller
24 mpg hwy/16 city (is this realistic?)

pics/listing: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/2665768345.html

I'll be asking for more pics (engine, underneath, cab, etc.) and can post them as well. If this is as nice as it sounds, I'd like to keep it for a long time, but it could also be a good resell, though it's been online for 6 weeks now.

Is the 6-sp Allison/LBZ a bulletproof combination? As good as the 7.3? I know the HP/torque can't compare (350/650 vs. 250/525 '03), but is one more reliable than the other? I'm not brand-loyal (yet!) - just want a quality truck that, besides proper maintenance and care, needs minimal upkeep, and has no major issues.

The seller says he wants a gasser now that he's not pulling toys anymore (4 snowmachines in a covered trailer), but with 20mpg and a nice interior, why would he want to switch? Hopefully expensive repairs aren't just around the corner.

Thanks for your input - and if you're in AK and have what I'm looking for, by all means please reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh great...

Sorry about that - the craiglist link seems to have disappeard. I'll post it once it reappears. Hopefully he's just putting on more pics, and not upping the price!

·
dieselgeezer
18 Posts
The LBZ is arguably the best model ever produced. They seem to have fixed most of all the potential trouble spots, ie: over-heating, injectors, to name a few biggies. I still hear about isolated head-gasket failures but usually at high mileage. The Allison is almost bullet-proof with proper maintenance and normal use. As you can see, they hold their value amazingly well.
The 7.3 is a far better engine than the two that followed but the early trans's couldn't compare with the Ally. While the Ford has the heavier frame, the ride quality and integrity of the GM body makes it a better choice for an every day driver as well as a work horse. My 2007 3500 Classic, dually LT3 rides as smooth as a Cadillac and just about as quiet.
If you don't need the power & torque of a diesel, IMHO the gasser is a better choice in an Alaskan climate because of diesel fuels' tendency to wax and gel at low temps. The light duty diesel trucks just don't have the fuel heaters found on heavy-duty over-the-road rigs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts