The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 2500hd lbz has 45000 miles on it. Everything is stock. wanting to know if I get a new air intake or programmer if that would help mileage. I got more than enough power. I just feel like my turbo lags sometimes and the engine doesn't get enoigh air for the amount of fuel its receiving. (black smoke out tail pipe) I get about 15-16 in town and 17-18 on highway. when im pulling my boat (alluminum boat)though doing 70 mph I drop down to 12. that's where i feel it can realy do better. some of my friends got new intakes and programmers and noticed some difference but I would like to know from a larger population of diesel owners. they also knocked out the cadilatic converters to get rid of the restriction on the other side of the turbo. Is that good?? Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Diablosport Predator , 4" exhaust system, and PPE airbox mod should get you a 2 mpg gain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mpg

Our tuners guarantee a +1-2 mpg increase but i have heard of people getting more like a 3-4mpg increase... just depends on how you drive. The higher the tune= more efficiently the motor runs... thus better fuel mileage. :Thumbup:

·
BUG JUICER and
1,239 Posts
PPE-DieselRob said:
Our tuners guarantee a +1-2 mpg increase but i have heard of people getting more like a 3-4mpg increase... just depends on how you drive. The higher the tune= more efficiently the motor runs... thus better fuel mileage. :Thumbup:
Glad you posted this, gives me a chance to get a reply to a question I always wanted to ask. Most everyone who has been around this vehicle for awhile, knows that most tuners adjust fuel pulse tables for power enhancement. When this is done, the DIC calibration is no longer valid for economy, it will always show a higher (invalid) mpg number than what the customer previously observed, an erroneous reading due to the "choice" of the tuner manufacturer to leave the DIC calibration uncorrected.

Why doesn't PPE correct the DIC to eliminate the illusion of increased economy?

·
Registered
16 Posts
mpg

Ill have to get back to you on your question but i was basing what i've said off of customers i've spoken with who have manually tested their fuel economy not off of the DIC...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I work for Hypertech and NOT PPE, but I can tell you why your DIC will be off when your program your truck.

Since we alter the fueling quantities and timing with the same tables that the factory uses the PCM knows exactly how much fuel is entering the engine. However since the DIC bases its fuel mileage estimates off of a theoretical model of the factory engine with a factory tune, the tuning changes from programming are not accounted for (even when using the factory tables with our changes). What this means is that the fuel mileage isn't being directly calculated directly from PCM fueling quantities vs. vehicle speed/distance traveled. And since the DIC doesn't base it's numbers on those things the changes to the programming induces errors.

Because our tuning does change the engine fueling at a given TPS/Boost/RPM/etc. that no longer matches the DIC model, thus causing an error between actual and calculated fuel mileage.

So it's not really something that you can account for in the tune.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
as far as intake i just hacked up the intake box with a sawzal...then added a 4" MBRP exhaust with the muffler turned backwards. I average about 17 on the highway running 70-75mph.

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Are you asking about tuning an LLY to be like a LBZ or are you looking for a Tune file for EFI Live or are you wanting a tuner to give you LBZ power?
:wave

·
8 Posts
2006 LLY/LBZ

I HAVE READ THE 2006 LLY IS THE SAME AS THE LBZ EXCEPT FOR THE TUNE. JUST WANT LBZ TUNE ON IT. WHERE CAN I GO TO GET THIS DONE DEALER? IS THERE A BETTER OPTION?

·
BUG JUICER and
1,239 Posts
The dealer can't do it.

If you don't find a vender to help you, give us a call. It is a straight forward tuning challenge.

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Well most caned tuners will give you the power your looking for on their lower levels. Hypertec, Edge, PPE, Bullydog, H&S, Banks etc....

·
8 Posts
LLY/LBZ

I AM LOOKING AT THE PPE XCELERATOR ECONOMY WITH STOCK INTAKE AND EXHAUST, WILL I HAVE ANY PROBLEMS? WILL I FEEL MORE POWER?

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
You will definitely feel more power after adding a tuner, intake and exhaust.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts