The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our trusty (well mostly) F250 5th wheel hauler has broken down in Houston. Wife started it up, backed it up to load some stuff, shut it off, loaded the stuff, and now it all does is click when she turns the key. Had her try the easy stuff like wiggle the gear shifter, try and start it in neutral, and look for obviously blown fuses. No joy.

Alternator was replaced last summer, batteries have been fine. Unfortunately, I'm not there to look at it and will have to have it towed in somewhere to be repaired. Am trying to get in touch with Power Stroke Magic.

I suppose it could be battery cables or solenoid/starter issue. Truck has 180K on it. Anyone had a similar issue?

·
149 Posts
my guess would be the starter. see if you could have someone tap on the starter and have your wife or someone else try cranking on the truck and see if it cranks over and starts up.

·
TDG Singles Outlaw #10
1,097 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it home

Had someone that came along and and jumpstarted it. She was able to drive it home last night. So will look at the truck today. It seems weird that the batteries would start it and then not a few minutes later...will have to get them checked.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
Batteries are the Number 1 cause of problems in diesel trucks. You have to replace BOTH batteries if one is bad, or the new battery will not last long.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery Terminal was Loose

Well, I think it turned out to be a simple fix. The positive battery terminal on the drivers side battery was snug but not tight, I could rotate it by hand. Took it off, cleaned it up, and tightened it up. Tightened up the rest of them while I was at it.

Checked the date on the batteries, both brand new Motorcraft MAX 850 CCA batteries installed Nov 2012.

It has started right up several times so I'll call it fixed until it happens again.

Thanks

·
1,324 Posts
Well, I think it turned out to be a simple fix. The positive battery terminal on the drivers side battery was snug but not tight, I could rotate it by hand. Took it off, cleaned it up, and tightened it up. Tightened up the rest of them while I was at it.

Checked the date on the batteries, both brand new Motorcraft MAX 850 CCA batteries installed Nov 2012.

It has started right up several times so I'll call it fixed until it happens again.

Thanks
If you don't have one already I would get a Scangauge 2 and monitor your FICM voltage. You may have damaged it or shortened its life. Pretty much a consensus that the FICM death is tied to low voltages during cranking and poor battery voltage when the glow plugs are on during start up. I'd guess those connections got pretty hot from cranking and the glow plugs cycling leading to the no start shortly after.

If the FICM starts dropping below 47.0 or so it's probably in need of a rebuild. Once it goes it will leave you stranded. Or in this case your wife. :danger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts