The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a used 2007 Duramax Chevy Silverado 2500HD with the 6 spd Allison trans. Good news is price is good. Bad news is it's got 276k miles.

I've been looking mostly at Dodge 2500/3500's but this popped on my radar and thought I might look it over.

The Cummins are supposed to be good for mean lifespan of 350k miles, but I haven't come across any information on the Duramax re: lifespan.

Also, any tips on things to really keep an eye on in this model year and milage.

I would plan to rip off the DPF and EGR systems if I get this truck. Plus I see some people using EFI live to tune with. I have HP tuners from my Vette days, not sure if I can use this at all to tune out codes from taking off teh DPF/EGR systems.

purpse for getting a truck is I want to tow a camper. I travel anywhere from 200-800 miles each way to events

Maybe it's too much to get into, but at $15k for a relatively new model year truck, it's a decent price provided it's not a giant turd when I go to look at it.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
im confused, is the truck a New-body-style 07 similar to the 08/09? or is it an older body style like the 03-06 truck? that determines if you will have DPF or not

HP tuners works just fine on the duramax as I understand, the reason i went with EFI is solely because it is more comprehensive, but HP works just as well

$15k isnt too bad a price for a truck that new

the mileage is up there, but as long as the truck was cared for, and not beat it should be a solid buy

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
That would be a LBZ. There is no DPF to worry about

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok sweet
may have to have a look at it.
my luck is I'll fall in love with it and end up with a lemon ahha.
Figure if it's an 07' and that many miles it couldn't have been down that much with problems.

ad says it has the Allison transmission. Not sure how long they live. Read up alot on the Dodges so kinda know repair costs a bit for them ie motor and trans fixes. Have no clue what a rebuild on a 6.6 or Trans would cost on the GM side.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
The duramax to rebuild is gona cost you as much as you pay for the truck, for a solid rebuilt allison can cost around $4000-5000

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
There are plenty of 300K+ Duramaxes running around. Most have two things in common; stock or lite tunes and good maintenance.

The rebuilds are going to be expensive no matter which one you go with. The trans is where the difference will show. The Allison costs more to rebuild but will last much longer than most 48REs.

Do you have any history on this truck? Have you posted the VIN and gotten a report? I would research the truck and make my decision. If has been maintained I wouldn't hesitate at that price.

·
272 Posts
i would go near a dmax or any truck with that many miles on the clock, for $15000.00 ..........look some more. Plus that truck is four years old.

IMO thats a $6000.00 truck you are looking at.:soapbox

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
That is possibly the worst advise ever

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol thx guys. Appreciate the advise and the humor too ahah!
I do think it would be a fair deal, but I do worry about the miles. I may look at a 2003 Ram 3500 dually 4x4 with 87k miles for $19k, but probably wouldn't offer over 17k unless it was just mint. The 5.9's I've seen reputable guys on the dodge forums say 4-5k for a good shop somewhere out east that does rebuilds and you send them a workable core. The Dodge trannies I guess aren't super, but can be built pretty stout if needed.
Just confused at this point. It's really just a "wish" at this point to get a truck and camper as it's quite impractical for my use/purposes. Then again, when have men ever been known to be practical in their "play" time. ahah!

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
i dont think you could rebuild a 5.9CR for 4-5 grand, I may be wrong, but the labor alone would cost that, if it took 40 hours to pull and rebuild and put an engine back in a truck, and at a minimum of $100/hr thats $4000 right there, not including parts, and the last time I checked, parts for a CR weren't all that cheap....

Im not saying a duramax would be cheaper or easier to rebuild, but from the sounds of it the Dodge would be a better choice, less than half the miles and they only want $4000 more for it

the 48RE is a TERRIBLE transmission in stock form, 4 speed, and it breaks wayyyy too easy, if you spend $5000 on it, it will be bullet proof, all billet shafts, billet converter, valvebody, kevlar bands, Red Alto frictions and steels, etc......

the A1000 in the 07 chevs is a 6-speed, with manumatic mode and it will last the life of the truck with proper maintenance, as long as you dont add any power to the engine, it will be flawless

Reactions: CoronaL

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok thx
yeah I was just going by what a couple guys were saying about some rebuild place that is supposed to be good. Everything is too damm expesive when I want to buy it, and not worth a damm when I go to sell it :swear

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
If you can find an 06-07 thats in good shape, and in that price range and has less miles on it, i would jump all over it, there is nothing wrong with the LBZ, they are a tough reliable engine, with lots of power from factory :thumbsup

·
272 Posts
plus, that dmax has had damage to the passenger side , look at the different paint on the doors. IMO..........we all have them. Some of you guys take these trucks way to serious.:bash

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
how can you tell its been damaged from that picture??? theres no way you can see that. besides my truck has had damage to the drivers side front fender, and there is no way that you can tell from a picture, period

We all have what? Im sorry but i just dont understand you

Yes we do take these trucks seriously, why wouldn't we? its not a little investment

·
3 Posts
Actually it looks like to me the paint was different in that same location I would try to get a carfax on it.I am at the auctions looking at cars and trucks two days a week and it looks repainted to me unless the camera had issues keep in mind even with a carfax if the truck was not repaired or maintained by a carfax reporting business it won't show up. Good luck

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
I know dealerships will repaint doors under warranty if the customer complains that the paint chips or fades or whatever, but it could be light or the camera, many things, metal flake can cause optical illusions that can play tricks with your eyes, and camera lenses

Look the truck over closely, and ask for a carfax or any kind of accident report before you buy, as well get at VIN check report from GM, it will tell you all warranty work done, as well as options

·
84 Posts
whole lot of miles for the price would a bank even loan that kinda money for that truck?? i mean if there were a 2010 truck with that many miles for 15,000 i still wouldnt touch it way to many miles bud u just gotta keep looking my buddy just bought an 03gmc with 80,000 for 21,000 but an old man owned it you can find um dodge, chevy, ford you just gotta look n not be in a hurry or you will end up with sumthing you dont want took me a year to find my truck but i couldnt be any happier

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
:whs i couldnt agree more dodge4829 :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 24 Posts