The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to buy a 2007 chevy 3500 w/the 6.6 duramax (120k miles) what are the major issues w/these engines/drivetrains) i'm going to use it for over the road hauling and am having major issues w/my ford 6.0l and do not want to get into major problems with chevy.
all your inputs would be get to make the right decisions
also, is there a dealer warranty available after the 100k factory warranty runs out, like ford has available
thanks
"wheels"

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
looking to buy a 2007 chevy 3500 w/the 6.6 duramax (120k miles) what are the major issues w/these engines/drivetrains) i'm going to use it for over the road hauling and am having major issues w/my ford 6.0l and do not want to get into major problems with chevy.
all your inputs would be get to make the right decisions
also, is there a dealer warranty available after the 100k factory warranty runs out, like ford has available
thanks
"wheels"
Well, you're making a smart decision, that's for sure. I was a died in the wool Ford guy and after 12 Ford diesel trucks, I switched. Never really had a LOT of problems (other than transmissions & ball joints), just wanted to experience the DMAX/Ally. Sure glad I did.

These trucks really have no major weaknesses. Might be able to use a little more payload. If you're hauling be sure to get a 3500. I'd run it past a good dealer with a diesel service tech and let him run some tests on it before you buy.

·
182 Posts
x2 no major issues with these trucks. Is it an 07 classic or New body style?

You will be welcomed to the world of leaking trans cooler lines and the steering shaft clunk.

The only major issues that some trucks experience is cracking a piston or 2. GM out sourced the pistons in 06 to some Chinese company that seemingly doesn't havethe best QC its really hit or miss on the bad ones. Most guys that loose them are running power adders of some sort though.

I would recommend blocking the the EGR and re routing the PCV other then that they are great trucks GL with the switch!

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I had the leaking trans lines fixed under warranty at the dealer after just a mild seep-really not even enough to ever drip on the floor. The dealer must have fixed them right, because they're even drier, really no leak at all for over 35,000 miles.

They also replaced my steering shaft at the same time and I had at worst a soft clunk. no more clunk, either.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
my cooler lines were replaced before i bought mine, and they are still leaking..... its annoying

·
Registered
42 Posts
my cooler lines were replaced before i bought mine, and they are still leaking..... its annoying
Yup and they will until you fix them yourself because GM will NEVER get it right!!

As far as the '07, is it a new body style or old one you are looking at? Like previously said, I would re-route the PCV and block the egr, throw in a finger stick and giv'r!:peelout

·
dieselgeezer
18 Posts
Leave it like the General designed it. It's way too expensive to re-engineer, especially if you lack the degree in light-duty diesel engineering, don't have access to a multi-million dollar computer aided design simulator and don't have the patients to do million mile pre-production testing. Sorry for the rant, but if you exceed the design parameters of the Dmax, they will break. New engine $15,000. New tranny $5-6,000.

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
funny thing is a lot of these guys don't come on here no more :roflol: so you weren't really ranting at anybody

1 - 12 of 12 Posts