The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there's a forum about this somewhere but I just received my new timken hub assembly (sp940200) and I'm not 100 percent sure how to remove the one on my truck so I can install the new one. Does anyone have a step by step procedure with pictures or possibly a video? There's one on YouTube but it seems like the guy skips some parts.

I have a 2007 f350 with the 6.0l, SRW 4x4

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
I have done a couple of front bearing replacements. It is not hard and goes pretty much like a two bearing front axle. It is a unit bearing, that is ONE Bearing and NOT Two Bearings. That is the difference right there. Everything is pretty much as it has always been.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have said this is my first time attempting this. Can't seem to get the caliper mount bolts loose. Any tricks besides ice breaker?

·
149 Posts
this is for the front correct? if so..... I use an impact wrench otherwise breaker bar with a piece of pipe attached to the end for more leverage if the breaker bar itself isn't enough.

with the 4wd you have to take the 4wd hub off and there is a copper colored snap ring that holds the axle shaft then you have 4 nuts on the back of the knuckle that need to come out. sometimes the bearing gets a little stuck but usually a few good hard whacks with a big hammer and it starts coming out. I usually work one side then the other side hitting it with a hammer til it is loose and I can pull it out by hand.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help guys! I got it all apart last night and put the new hub assembly on. I ended up breaking all of my snap ring pliers (cheap tools) so I wasn't able to get the new snap ring on yet. I'm going to pick a new one up after work tonight. Any suggestions on good but affordable snap ring pliers?

Also, I'm guessing I should re-pack the 4wd hub with grease before putting it back in?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts