The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SgtMoto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning while driving to work all of a sudden out of nowhere my truck message center lighted up and stated "Stop Safely Now"! As i started to freak out a bit. I was about 10mins away from work and now I'm going to be late. WTF?!?! I pulled in...errr correction coasted in to Dunkin Donuts parking lot. Little did I know that once the message pops up in your message center if you slow down too much IE: 3-5mph it will shut off and render you completly powerless. (not cool)

Confused, I took the keys out waited a few minutes and attempted to start the truck again. No Luck not even a humm, a noise, a click, nothing! all the lights seemed to work fine I grabbed my battery tester and both batteries check out fine. I'm wondering what in the world is happening. Never had I had an Engine warning light come on during my ownership except the TPMS sensor when i changed tires. even after 6 hours of being off this truck will not restart. I grab the Owners manual and look up the messages in the warning section of the book.

(Stop safely now (diesel engine only) )
(Stop the vehicle as soon as safely possible)

The vehicle exhaust system temperature exceeds the intended operating range.

If this warning occurs, the engine power is reduced and the engine will be shut down when the vehicle speed is below 3 mph.

(contact authorized dealer)

So I called AAA had them tow my truck to the Dealership only to find out they arent going to see it until monday (yet again not cool)

I did manage to get them to give me the codes on the truck since the engine light was on (which has never happened to me before other than the TPMS sensor) wierd... Here is a list of the codes the gave me, and hopefully someone a little mroe helpful than the service desk could give me some insight since apparently theres a bunch of codes.

Here they are:

P0233 EGT Bank 1 Sensor 2
P2080 Bank 1 Sensor 1
P200E Overtemp Bank 1
P242D Bank 1 Sensor 3

So the real question is??? why in the world would out of nowhere would these codes pop up? I have normal engine temps, solid boost, no rough idling, no leaks anywhere that I have been able to find. What gives??

sorry for the novel just hope someone reads my situation and hopefully give me some feedback.

·
606 Posts
Same happen to me. The sensor in the DPF is reading a high temp when the temp is normal. I got a free DPF from it because the mechanic could not get the sensor out of the DPF. Not to worry. This happens allot. If you wait about an hour, like in the boonies and no where to go, the truck will restart.

·
SgtMoto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had read somewhere on another similar forum that it would start after one hour, however the truck had been off for 6+ hrs and still will not turn over or anything but still has full power to everything else. I'm headed to the dealership today (sat) to see if maybe I can try to start it but I'm not holdin my breath.

·
606 Posts
I will try to locate the thread, that explained about jumping the wire on the passenger side engine compartment. It will start the engine after it shuts down.

·
SgtMoto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I went back to the dealership yesterday and finally made some headway and got some answers...

The diesel mechanic grabbed the laptop with the cable and we went to the truck, Low and behold the truck still would not start. So he was connected to the truck and pulled codes again and showed same codes only this time we were able to see details on the freeze frames that showed what the temps were on each sensor bank. Well sensor 1 bank 2 is reporting a EGT temp of 2250! That crazy hot but the truck and the exhaust was not hot. So the sensor must be bad. Should get replaced tommorow. So to further add I was also in dire need of a reflash to the PCM/ TCM/ and instrument cluster and truck started right back up and all codes cleared.

·
606 Posts
Welcome to the bad sensor club. That was the second or third reason on my list for DOC/DPF delete. I was stuck on the freeway once............not again.

Reactions: Big Bri and Sam
1 - 7 of 7 Posts