The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2008 F-250 6.4L Diesel (63,xxx miles currently bought used in July 2012 with 60,000). I put new batteries in the truck in August of this year (2012) so they're good..or at least they should be. A couple of weeks ago the truck died and would crank but not start. Dash lights were flashing, etc. Towed it to Ford and they repaired a broken wire on the power control panel (I have no idea what the power control panel is but sounds like the battery to me). Afterwords, the lights are brighter, and the truck seems to run better overall. Today, the truck wouldn't crank intermittently. Got in it everything lights up as normal. Glow plug light goes out, I turn the key, nothing. I put my foot on the brake and cycled the transmission thinking it may not have been in Park all the way. After a few more turns of the key, the truck fired right up. No unusual noises, lights, alarms, etc. We drove to a restaurant about 1 mile away. I shut the truck off, we went inside and ate. About 30 mins later, I put the key in, turn it on, lights, glow plug goes out, turn the key and nothing. This time I did not cycle the transmission. Turned the key a few more times and it cranked. Again, no unusual noises, it fires right up when it does crank. Went down the road another mile to Camping World and left the truck running. We come out of the store about 30 minutes later, truck still running. Drove back home (camper) about 2 miles. Pulled in, shut the truck off, let it sit for a few minutes, tried to start it and the engine doesn't turn over. All lights come on, glow plug light is fast to extinguish, radio works, power windows work with no noticeable slow downs so I don't think it's the batteries.

I did read where low voltage could possibly ruin the starter. Seems like with the bad wire that's been repaired I had a low voltage issue.

Could the starter be the problem?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

·
606 Posts
I never heard of low voltage taking out a starter. Might try the easy stuff first. Neutral safety switch might be bad. Then move to the ignition switch being bad. I doubt it is but it is worth checking.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I did put my multimeter on the batteries and they were both outputting the proper voltage.

I don't have my tools with me so checking beyond that would've been tough.

I had it towed to Ford and it was a bad starter.

I can't find the reference to low voltage causing the starter to go bad. I can't remember what I searched for when I found it. Go figure.

Anyway, I bought the extra warranty when I bought the truck and I'm back on the road.

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,447 Posts
I mean, continuous undervolting over time will cause an increase of amperage draw and fry things, but not instantly.

What failed in the starter?

Adrianspeeder

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They didn't indicate what failed in the starter. Sorry I couldn't provide more information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts