The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 f-250 40,900 miles on it. been have bump steer issues for about 4months took to tire store figured had a bad tire. they check the truck out rebalanced tires.. still no fix this has been going on for 4 months back and forth Finally at 40k on my last lube/oil/filter change I ask the suspension tech to check the front end. I gave him a ride in the truck to duplicate the problem, which it did at 70mph on some bumps. Severe bump steer, tech took this in check it. now it needs a new steering box, lower ball joints and a tie rod end.. The tech claimed the leveling kit, and the 325/60/20 tires caused the problem. and that the warranty was out at 36k i had to foot the whole bill of 2900.00.. i complained that this has been going on for sometime and it should be covered.. they came back and said they have never heard of ball joints or steering box issues from these trucks and it was due to the tire/ lift kit.. which it was a leveling kit. After some heated discussion they came back and said if i paid a third they would pay a third and ford a third.. which is around 900.00 . Not to mention I have to purchase a new set of tires due to the aligment has ruined them.. Is there a number I can call to talk to ford or what should I do... HELP.. ill be out 3k and the damn truck has 40k 4000 miles after the warranty expired...

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
THey would have to prove that it was the leveling kit that caused the ball joints and steering box to fail. I had to replace my steering box about 25,000km ago and just did the tie rod ends last week. Ive got 142,000km on mine.

If the truck has been in and out for over 4mnths. I think they should cover it because the truck was under warrenty then. The steering boxes on these trucks seem to be a bit of an issue. I've heard of several needing to be swapped out after 10-20,000miles.

Who installed the leveling kit? Was there a wheel alinement done after?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed the level kit and yes actually had the truck aligned twice due to the irregular tire wear.. At the dealership I would have them check it during my routine service. They always said it drove fine and couldnt find any issues. When I brought this up to them at the time of the price and problems finally found then they said sorry we dont remember this and dont have any notes on this problem in your record. the tech himself said there was a problem with it, thats when i said lets go for a drive and he saw it for himself.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My question would be;
$3k for balljoint,a tie rod end,and steering box? WTF?

You could get that done with high end aftermarket parts for probably half of that?

·
5,365 Posts
250 bucks in ball joint parts...but dealers charge anywhere from 900-1200 just
to do the ball joint job <insane> !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i agree.. Should I call ford and speak to someone there. maybe get this crap corrected without anything out of my pocket.. does anyone have a number and can i expect this again in 40k...

·
Mafia member #6
1,714 Posts
Wouldn't hurt,call customer service..

i agree.. Should I call ford and speak to someone there. maybe get this crap corrected without anything out of my pocket.. does anyone have a number and can i expect this again in 40k...

·
79 Posts
These steering boxes can be tightened up quite a bit! Might buy some more miles out of it unless it's already maxed out or completely wrecked!

·
FukeneH
197 Posts
THey would have to prove that it was the leveling kit that caused the ball joints and steering box to fail. I had to replace my steering box about 25,000km ago and just did the tie rod ends last week. Ive got 142,000km on mine.

If the truck has been in and out for over 4mnths. I think they should cover it because the truck was under warrenty then. The steering boxes on these trucks seem to be a bit of an issue. I've heard of several needing to be swapped out after 10-20,000miles.

Who installed the leveling kit? Was there a wheel alinement done after?
for leveling kit why would you do a alinement?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts