The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reached the mileage requirement for transmission service. Hoping that this is something I can do myself. Doing some reading on the topic. Job 3 with internal filter.

1. Is service of the internal filter required at 30,000 miles ?
2. Is this service a drop/fill of the transmission fluid, or a complete dialysis of the trans, cooler, torque converter, etc... ?
2. Any special tools ?

Lessons learned that you can share on the topic.

Thanks in advance

·
186 Posts
Automatic transmission fluid and filter changes are specified at 60,000 mile intervals. Flushes are not specified.

A heated flush machine is required to flush the transmission, so it is not a DIY operation generally. Since a flush is not specified, you should be able to DIY the fluid and filter change and not worry about the unchanged fluid left in the system unless there is an actual problem and the fluid is contaminated or burned.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Automatic transmission fluid and filter changes are specified at 60,000 mile intervals. Flushes are not specified.

A heated flush machine is required to flush the transmission, so it is not a DIY operation generally. Since a flush is not specified, you should be able to DIY the fluid and filter change and not worry about the unchanged fluid left in the system unless there is an actual problem and the fluid is contaminated or burned.
...I like the 60,000 interval better. I now realize that the 30,000 mile recommendation is for the "external mount remote filter". Thanks.

48,000 Km (30,000 Miles)

Change engine oil and install a new oil filter.
Rotate tires and inspect for wear (on vehicles with dual rear wheels, only rotate the tires if unusual wear is noted).
Check the air filter restriction gauge, install a new filter as necessary.
Change automatic transmission fluid on all vehicles equipped with the TorqShift® transmission and externally mounted remote filter.
Install a new remote filter if equipped with a TorqShift® transmission.
Inspect automatic transmission fluid level on all other vehicles (if equipped with an underhood fluid level indicator).
Check and lubricate ball joints (RWD vehicles).
Check and lubricate steering idler arms.
Carry out multi-point inspection (recommended).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts