The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal with only 300 HP on the 6.7 diesel on the 450 and 550 cab & chassis?

·
Banned
12 Posts
this things are monsters buddy.... I suggest try going for 450.... and sure that cost varies from dealer to dealer I get back to you soon....

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2011-550

I currently own 3 f 550 dump trucks 08, 09 ,10 and they have more HP than the new 2011 . The 2011 450 & 550 cab and chassis have only 300 HP and the 350 has 400 HP . I just ordered two more F550 cab & chassis and the dealer said he let me know today.

·
156 Posts
Ive been talking around, and one thing I have heard is the fleet or chassis cab trucks are getting a single stage turbo. Some other small differences, and Im also hearing from people that have these trucks that they are not happy. Way different from what Im hearing from individuals that buy them for personal use.

I had also seen something similar in the Dodge/Sterling trucks, where the personal use type trucks seemed to have WAY more power. Not sure why, maybe the thought is that fleet trucks get the hell beat out of them and they are trying to make them last. Or, cheaper. Ive always heard that for the same engine, passenger vehicles and trucks always had different parts and power ratings. Looks the same up the food chain too.

·
326 Posts
Id guess its rated lower for longer engine life; the 5.9 cummins was rated around 190 hp when in medium duty applications. Plus if a disgruntled employee is driving your truck -

·
Who Me??
4 Posts
Why wouldn't ford use the new power stroke instead of the cummins? Forgive my ignorance as I'm still learning about diesels and the various makes, models, etc...

I was at the Dodge dealership yesterday and he was the proud peacock bragging about the the Cummins in a Ford. Said if the 6.7 powerstroke was so good why not use it in the 550, 650 etc... I am sure there is a valid reason!

·
1,606 Posts
Ford only uses the Cummins in F650 and F750. Powerstroke is in F350,450, and 550.

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
Correct you are sir! Any idea if the I6 they talk about in the 650, etc... is the same as the one in the 2500?
It is correct and it will have few HP / TQ rating depending on the drivetrain set up.

However for the rest of readers If my memory did serve me right the 450 and larger trucks have slighty diffrent emmison requirement so they detuned from the 250 /350 series Not only ford have this the GM and Dodge is in the same page as well

Merci.
Marc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts