The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my truck in for its first oil change. Right after that I started hearing a tapping noise under the front drivers side wheel well. Called the dealer and he faxed me a TSB 10-19-2. Issue: Some 6.7 diesel equiped vehicles may exibit a ticking noise after an oil change. It is refered to as Typewriter Noise because of its random thyping sounds on a mechanical typewriter. Customers may report that when near a building or drive through window that this noise can be heard inside the cab. Service Info: Basically normal condition. No action is to be taken and is not Warrantable. Do not change the viscosity of the reccommended oil as this will not fix the noise.

·
1,415 Posts
The 6.4's had this same issue

·
8 Posts
It happened to a friends 6.7 as well. I have not experienced it on mine.

·
567 Posts
Mine has this after the first oil change. There is no way it's normal. I've got 8000mi on it now and it's getting louder. I'll run it till it pops like they told me to.

·
567 Posts
I run it hard everyday. It's made the noise since the first service @ 4000 mi. I just had the second service done on Tuesday last week.

I'm having this truck dealer serviced so all records are in order and they cannot try funny crap on the warranty.

I actually notice the noise is louder on hot start and after running on the freeway for a bit. It's really annoying that they won't do anything about it.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was serviced at the dealership so I guess motocraft. Whatever they put in it. I get free tires if I have the truck serviced there.

·
525 Posts
Mine was serviced at the dealership so I guess motocraft. Whatever they put in it. I get free tires if I have the truck serviced there.
Go back to your invoice, check that the proper grade / viscosity of oil was used.

Lets eliminate simple suspects first.

Motorcraft what?

Was it HD Diesel oil?

Was it 15w-40?

Can you rule out some klutz putting 5w-20 gasser oil in?

·
567 Posts
I'll look into what oil is used. I'm think I'm screwed anyways. Early prod 550 with the 300hp 6.7.

·
3,533 Posts
I take it Ford is believing the lifters are getting air in them and it is not clearing?

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I pulled the invoice. Installed BC3Z 6731 A Oil Filter assy. Installed XO 10W30 QSD Oil. 13 Qts. Thats what it says.

·
525 Posts
Ok, I pulled the invoice. Installed BC3Z 6731 A Oil Filter assy. Installed XO 10W30 QSD Oil. 13 Qts. Thats what it says.

The immediate question:

What is XO 10W30 QSD Oil?

http://fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...uper Duty Diesel Motor Oil&category=Motor Oil

If it is the Motorcraft CJ-4 rated oil as in the above link, then the next question:

Why are they putting in 10w-30 when the normal for most climate ranges is 15w-40 or, if they use a synthetic, 5w-40 or synth 15w-40?

Is your area very cold? Even if it is, it is now March, and you should be switching to summer oil.

I would start by putting in CJ-4 15w-40 dino as per Ford spec, or Synth (above grades) to start.

If the problem goes away... it was the improper use of 10w-30 given your climate range.

I am, assuming the monkey in the back didn't put something else in entirely (e.g. 5w-20 gasser oil) and charged you for HD diesel 10w-30.

In any case, replacing the oil / filter with the proper one for your climate is my first stop.

AND,

I would insist on watching the fella do it in front of me to make sure no scamming happened.

Hint: just because the bottle says it is XXX oil does not mean that is what is in there.

Insist on SEALED bottles that are unopened.

·
525 Posts
PS

If after changing oil / filter back to 15w-40 Ford Spec oil gets rid of the tapping noise.

I would give the tech / service writer a tap on the tip of his nose for putting you through this grief.

And if 10-30 oil is not specified for your climate, I would....

·
567 Posts
Mine says 15-40w on the invoice. And 3gal of urea.

·
525 Posts
Mine says 15-40w on the invoice. And 3gal of urea.

The question: did they put in the oil claimed on the invoice?

If there are doubts... you know routine.

Personally, I think it has to do with air in system.

If you want my advice:

Go buy your own Shell Rotella T (dino or synth) or equivalent, and have them put it in in front of you.

Don't mess around.

I have this visual of the kid doing oil changes (the lowliest of tech jobs) not knowing the difference between gasser and diesel oil.

To them, 10w-30 is 10w-30... and the bulk pump is so easy!

·
525 Posts
If in fact the guy did use a gasser oil then what kind of damage could be done to my engine?

If you got it out of there promptly, relatively minor.

The key difference between the two oil chemistries is the gasser oil cannot deal with the diesel particulates, and probably cannot maintain grade over the entire oil change interval.

If you kept using it for a few years... you are probably in for an interesting experiment.

IMHO, if there is doubt... you be conservative.

I never take my vehicle to an oil change shop where the temptation is to pull down a dispenser that is connected to a bulk oil tank that you cannot see.

Some of them even have many different grades in one dispenser so without knowing what the actual dispenser is set at, and how it follows through to the actual bulk tank, there is no way to know what went in there.

If it was a gasser, you assume that is not much of a problem at the bigger oil change shops.

But... as a Diesel... the only place where you are sure to get diesel grade oil is at a truck service shop.

Where there is no fooling around (or a Tractor Trailer Driver comes back and deal with the owner personally)!

Dealers... if they are big.... and they are knowledgeable... no problems....

But as you know, dealers come in all stripes, and you gotta ask if you, a) trust them, b) whether the tech that did it was competent.

That is a judgment only you can make.

The strongest circumstantial evidence that it is not a factory issue is you had no problem before the change, and after.... tick tick tick...

I know what I would do under the circumstances.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts