The Diesel Garage banner

2012 1/2 Ford Trucks coming with CAT Motor

16K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Hydro 
#1 ·
Has anybody heard this? I am sure the guy I heard it from was confused but thought I would ask if there was any truth to this?

#3 ·
I s'pose it could be in their medium duty trucks...but as mentioned I doubt they would do that in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

#4 ·
I thought Cat bowed out of the on road market a couple of years ago due to emissions requirement and relabity issues.

#5 ·
They did.

#7 ·
LOL that guy was blowing smoke up your *****, BUT what Cat is coming out with is their own line of vocational on road trucks, they will be debuted at the Vegas show at the end of this month, obviously they had something up their sleeve and have bowed out of producing their engine for ie. KW Peterbilt. Alot of the motors are pretty interchangeable so to build a motor for say a 980 which had a 3406 and was a popular truck motor it's easy for them to build the rest of the truck they've done the hard part which was designing an up to date EPA standard motor for that year.

#9 ·
With all the people on this site, does anybody know where the CAT truck is built, or does it come in on a ship. Cats reason for leaving the class eight market was more than the EPA. It costs money to make the parts to mount an engine in the truck, and when the % of trucks, in a certain model with their engine, falls below a certain level, and they do not cover warranty repairs. When they are not fuel efficient, they are dropped.
Cat engines used in Heavy equipment will have to meat the 2010 specs in a few years.
When the 6.7 first came out they were talking about it being sold to other companies, has anybody heard anything more on that?

#10 ·
Emissions........ a big reason a lot of manufacturers are not messing around with diesels in the pickup truck segment. Don't see a diesel in a Toyota yet, and they make em and sell them all over the world, just not here. I read somewhere years ago that cat didn't want anything to to with any part of the diesel market unless it was offroad where emissions were not killing the diesel engine. I'm sure they've using that time doing R&D since they will eventually have to comply with emissions everywere, but you look at all the trucks going in for emission related repairs on the manufacturers dime. Big expense, why do you think we all delete that crap. I think they'll eventually get it right just like they did in the gassers and we'll be back to long trouble free miles, just might be a while. Just my opinion and 2 cents.

#13 ·
You've got it! If you were running an old paver on a federally funded job you'd have to make it in compliance with up to date EPA standards, hence why older equipment really isn't worth ***** in this country, but worth plenty for export.
In the equipment, the compliance standard is known as "tier 4" for this year.

#15 ·
CAT paid a lot of penalties in 1992 because they could not make a compliant engine for a long time, and the could not make an engine that was compliant for 2010, that is why they are not in the market. All this macho crap about what they told the EPA is BS. they were loosing market share, and could not make an engine that was fuel efficient, there engines weight to much, and the warranty costs of there products was way out of every other engine's, and they would not pay the full cost.
Before I left Freightliner I was doing a C15, with an intake Valve actuator problem on a Saturday, I got the print out for the things I had to inspect, adjust, and test.
First I was to do a valve set, and check the seals and oil supply, when I informed CAT that, to check the oil supply at the right rear of the block I would meed to remove the turbo's I was allowed to leave that out. After the set, tests, and the IVA test you have to drive the heck out of it for an hour to get the fuel out, then I was to change the IVA assemblies, from #3 position to #2 position, I informed Cat that the parts department was closing at 2PM, and would they allow me to order the part then and they pay the restocking fee if Fining would not wave it. I was told "NO". I swapped the part around did the set, and the test the code followed the assembly, this was before they allowed you to change just the solenoid. By that time the parts department was closed, I worked 3x12's Saturday was my last day. That truck sat there till I came back on Thursday, so much for customer good will, I had 8 hours on the truck already, and Cat wanted to Pay 4 hours for the complete Job. I told the guy no problem get a tow truck, they agreed to pay the full pull.
I truly pity anybody that owns anything from an "E" forward. Parts are to expensive, to hard to get. The number of times I had to cut the block on S60's in all my years, I did at least twice that on "CAT"s in one year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.