The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update on impressions on the 2013.

Over 1200 miles in two weeks, overall mpg per dash reading is 18.6.

Yesterday did a 320 mile trip, cruise set at 75mph, had some city rush hour traffic, basically kept trans in 2 gear at the time, averaged 19.3 mpg according to dash reading (for what its worth) for the trip. Anyway it looks like its doing about 2 mpg better then my 07.5.

Definitely is smoother riding then the 07.5.

Engine oil is still clean, not sooted up.

Not quite 1/4 tank of def used.

Fuel filter life is showing 94% left and oil filter at 96%.

Engine oil consistently runs 199-201 degrees(anybody with more miles, has the oil temp decreased with more break in?)

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

Recent trip pulling the 5th wheel averaged 11.6 mpg, mostly flat except going over a 1500 foot pass. Trans oil temp stayed almost the same as when empty, 167-169 degrees. Waiting to put in deep pan at first oil change.

On another trip without the trailer, going thru the mountains with tight corners, many posted at 20 mph, and 8-10% grades, I had the trans in tow/haul mode and lock down to 2nd and 3rd gear and the trans temp got to 184 degrees, outside temp around 78 degrees. On that trip I also had a fair amount of city stop and go traffic hauling furniture for my moving daughter. Put 380 miles on the trip and averaged 18.4 mpg. Engine oil temp is still running 199-201*

I am using the dash reading for the mpg, pickupsTrucks.com just did a tow test between a Ram 3500 and a Ford F450, towing something like 26,000lbs and the Rams mpg reading was only off by 0.1 mpg vs hand calculated. By the way Ram came out on top:thumbsup

·
3,533 Posts
Congradulations!

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa, its slippery

1st rain of the year and definitely got to go easy on the throttle. This 2013 really breaks traction easy on wet pavement, much more so then the 07.5. One would think that with the 3.55 gears vs. the 3.73 in the 07.5 it wouldn't be so noticeable from a stop. Even at moderate speeds I got to take it easy on the throttle so as not to get the backend sliding around. I guess 800 lbs of torque:) will do that.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Be careful on the throttle when loaded. Couple buddies at the dealership have replaced rear gears due to throttle response when loaded heavy, (busted differential case). I'm thinking they were 3.55's also when a 4.10 would be much better suited.

Glad you are pleased with the truck.

·
3,533 Posts
You would think the larger pinion gear being larger, it would be stronger, is the case breaking?

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
You would think the larger pinion gear being larger, it would be stronger, is the case breaking?

Splitting right through the spider gear shaft borings. One case was near busted into two parts. The ring and pinions were replaced with 4.10's.

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Capless fuel filler

Here is why I don't like the capless fuel filler. Look at all the dust around the fuel filler and this is behind the door to the fuel filler. The layer of dust would be getting on the spring loaded door and would wash into the tank at each fill up. Thus the very cheap dust cover that I keep over the opening at all times.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts