The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the 2017 F-450? Thinking about an upgrade and wanted to know how the 450 is doing?

·
323 Posts
Depends on ebay you ate trying to avionics.
The F450 will increase your wrought carrying capacity, but lower the towing capacity.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jasong, are you not a good typist or on something?? Don't understand a thing you said in the first line. Second statement, how will it lower the towing capacity?? It has a gooseneck rating of 32,100 lbs???

·
323 Posts
Durn autocorrect.

[Depends on what you are trying to acomplish.
The F450 will increase your weight carrying capacity, but lower the towing capacity.]

True towing capacity is a function of engine + driveline. IIRC the F450 has the same as the 350. If it has larger brakes, then that helps the stopping capacity, but at that weight you should be in a tri-axle or dually tandem with more than enough braking to safely stop.

The extra frame and suspension increase pin/hitch/box capacity. The extra truck weight is subtracted from the GCVWR.

Your trailer is only 15K lbs, a 250HD or 350 is fine for that weight.
Depending on what/where you read, 350/3500 series trucks fall in the 18k to 21K range.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. I get that the weight of the truck is subtracted from the GCVW rating. But the F-450 weight is only going to fluctuate a little depending on options. All the 450s are crew cab, long bad, duallys. The two rating is going to fluctuate that much.

So back to my original question....How is the 2017 F-450 doing? Does anyone have experience. I am looking to upgrade and I realize that my trailer is well within the rating of a properly equipped F-250 or F-350. I also hall items in the bed, people in the cab and all these items need to be taken into consideration. I'm looking at F-450s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts