The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boost Junkie
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to order my alcoa classic in 22" w/ shaved rears to keep the wheels even with the rear fenders. Im keeping the front stock height & want to lower the rear about 2" to somewhat level it out w/ the front. I dont want it perfectly level so when i tow my 31' travel trailer the rear isnt squatted lower than the front....SO, I was thinking of running a staggered tire height, 305/40/22 front & 305/45/22 rear. I know it wont look obvious as the rear will be sitting a tad higher so the larger gap will hide the 1" tire difference & this fitment will allow the gap to be a little closer with a short drop. Wanted to hear opinions on this set up....
Next, the rear drop. I have no idea whats involved here. Can somone enlighten me on a kit or procedure for doing this? Will either or both these changes (tires/drop) drasticallly effect my towing? (8k# trailer) I only tow the trailer about a half dozen times a year and dont travel more than a couple hundred miles for the furthest trip. I just want a nice clean street look while still being able to occasional tow when needed....
Iappreciate any input offered!

·
Boost Junkie
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I installed my rear 2" drop shackles it only dropped it about 3/4" to 1" at the VERY most.

thanx for your input. so what would you recommend? im just trying to drop the rear a bit to get closer to the front height but still want it a tad more high than the front as i mentioned, so it doesnt "bulldog" when i tow my trailer....are rear shackes the best way to lower the rear? will it hinder towing? thanx again!!

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
why not just go to a smaller block in the rear? it should be either 2" or 3.5" i think so if its the 3.5 go down to the 2, if its 2 go down to a 1...

·
Boost Junkie
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx 6l, I thought about the blocks but unless im wrong my non 4x4 dually has 2" from the factory wich will only give me a 1" drop at most. Ive heard a couple horror stories where the short blocks have cracked when towing. The one thing I do like about the shackles is the geometry once installed pretty much remains the same, or so I've heard......
Just to note, on a flat surface my trick currently stands (ground to bottom of fender lip) at 35 1\4" front and 38 3\4" rear. So you can see how I want a minimum of 2" prefferably 2.5 to 3.0 though......
I really appreciate all the input guys!

·
284 Posts
thanx for your input. so what would you recommend? im just trying to drop the rear a bit to get closer to the front height but still want it a tad more high than the front as i mentioned, so it doesnt "bulldog" when i tow my trailer....are rear shackes the best way to lower the rear? will it hinder towing? thanx again!!
Get the leaf spring hangers from DJM, there are 3 holes and each one drops about a inch. My rear end is set on the middle setting.

·
Boost Junkie
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx EJ, so can you use hangers by themselves w/o the drop shackles? that would be great....

·
Boost Junkie
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if anyone is intersted but it may be good for anyone running across this thread in the future while doing a search on lowering thier superduty. You will need to adjust your pinion angle 6* when doing a hanger drop but no adjustments when adding the shackles. So if you looking for a couple inches of drop w/o the need for any additional adjustments to get your rear geometry correct just do the shackles......

Reactions: plainredtruck
1 - 9 of 9 Posts