The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the service mangaer and the diesel tech out for a ride with the trailer hooked up. Tooling around town everything was OK. Temps and pressures were normal. Made our way out to the highway and got onto the throttle and things started to happen. The truck pulled well. THe temps never got up high BUT the coolant pressure climbed to 22psi accelerating up a moderate hill. 16psi is normal. Got up to speed. Pressure in the coolant system bleed off and we carried on down the road. After turning around and getting up to speed (only half throttle) the coolant pressure was at 22-23psi. If I had walked on it, I more then likely could have matched the boost pressure. It is official. I need studs. The service manager is OK with me supplying ARP studs and what ever else I would like to do to the truck provided it is concieled or not a remove and replace. So I guess I'm going with studs and delete plates.

Man this has been a drawn out process. But as soon as the hoist is free. I'm in and getting fixed.

For all of those that are having problems with diagnosis. Find a HEAVY trailer and a steady grade. And take the mechanice for a ride. He will have to hook up his coolant pressure gauge for verification. But this is the only way I have been able to prove it. The truck will NOT be down on power. The turbos are too efficient and will make up for any bleed off into the coolant system. The coolant system has to monitored for over pressureing.

Hope this helps all of you out.

Chris.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
Thanks Chris, I have a hunch that its not you studs that stretched, there is too many out there running high tunes while towing and nitrous... I read on another site there was a batch of HG's that were no good or something like that but who REALLY knows.

I know I have said it before but I am putting mine back to stock and going to run it for a bit then like you said get a trailer and go for a drive with them, mine is definately worse than it was 6 months ago..

·
Powered By Ford
2,438 Posts
its the HGs all around, Smokin' Joe (rainman) among a few others had the same problem

·
Flyin' Hawaiian
146 Posts
I took the service mangaer and the diesel tech out for a ride with the trailer hooked up. Tooling around town everything was OK. Temps and pressures were normal. Made our way out to the highway and got onto the throttle and things started to happen. The truck pulled well. THe temps never got up high BUT the coolant pressure climbed to 22psi accelerating up a moderate hill. 16psi is normal. Got up to speed. Pressure in the coolant system bleed off and we carried on down the road. After turning around and getting up to speed (only half throttle) the coolant pressure was at 22-23psi. If I had walked on it, I more then likely could have matched the boost pressure. It is official. I need studs. The service manager is OK with me supplying ARP studs and what ever else I would like to do to the truck provided it is concieled or not a remove and replace. So I guess I'm going with studs and delete plates.

Man this has been a drawn out process. But as soon as the hoist is free. I'm in and getting fixed.

For all of those that are having problems with diagnosis. Find a HEAVY trailer and a steady grade. And take the mechanice for a ride. He will have to hook up his coolant pressure gauge for verification. But this is the only way I have been able to prove it. The truck will NOT be down on power. The turbos are too efficient and will make up for any bleed off into the coolant system. The coolant system has to monitored for over pressureing.

Chris.

Thanks for that info, friday i will see if the tech will go for a ride with me.

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
Yeah if the studs had streched, I believe other things woulda happend by now

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys. I ment that the HG are bad and I will be upgrading to ARP's for future mods.

Is the fuel pump cab on accessible. Ive heard the injectors are. So with the studs and delete plates. All my mods are cab on... Right?

·
673 Posts
Sorry guys. I ment that the HG are bad and I will be upgrading to ARP's for future mods.

Is the fuel pump cab on accessible. Ive heard the injectors are. So with the studs and delete plates. All my mods are cab on... Right?
studs are cab off

·
192 Posts
The HPFP is a cab off job for sure. Where I intern at we had an 08 in for all 8 injectors replaced with the HPFP last week with the cab off and i have to be honest with ya, its nothing to get the cab on and off.

·
Flyin' Hawaiian
146 Posts
Quick question....For those of use that have lots of wires coming out of the firewall going into the the engine compartments do the dealers just cut these and use butt connects to put them back? If thats the case i need to get some labeling done for them.

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Quick question....For those of use that have lots of wires coming out of the firewall going into the the engine compartments do the dealers just cut these and use butt connects to put them back? If thats the case i need to get some labeling done for them.
They are for sure going to have to cut them. If I were you, I would cut them, install some sort of connector. A 4 way trailer plug would work well. When you take the truck in for cab off service, just unplug the wires, that way they don't accidently lift the cab and yank wires out.

·
53 Posts
22psi would probably play he!! with the radiators too, huh? Maybe there is a connection between the head gaskets and the repetitive radiator changes some are needing. ?

Tim

·
53 Posts

Chris.
How much weight were you towing for the test? Don't know if it matters, just curious.

Tim

·
278 Posts
This is not good. I have had the puking problem but seemed if I kept it about an inch below the line in has not blown since?? My luck I will have a HG problem as well. The coolant in the degas bottle does not look good now? Did you guys have that problem??

Smells like oil in there but the oil is fine no water in there. Is that what happens when HG goes??

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much weight were you towing for the test? Don't know if it matters, just curious.

Tim
My trailer weighs about 15k empty. With all the snow on it and the stuff in the basement. Closer to 17.5k.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is not good. I have had the puking problem but seemed if I kept it about an inch below the line in has not blown since?? My luck I will have a HG problem as well. The coolant in the degas bottle does not look good now? Did you guys have that problem??

Smells like oil in there but the oil is fine no water in there. Is that what happens when HG goes??
The HG might just be washed from the cylinder to the water jacket in the head. That s why I think I didnt get cross contamination. The coolant did look dirty after a while though. Probibly from the soot and oil residue getting pushed into the system.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Head gasket confirmed on driverside cylinder #2. and possible #4 on passanger side. Niether of the leaks were very large. Just a slight wash of the soft seal. Had to really look to see that channeling to the water jacket(Thank god for carbon residue). Elite studs are in. Truck should be back together later on Monday. I will install the delete plates and delete pipe in the drive way and then the 275. Finally have my truck back. Oh. And they want me to display my truck at the dealership. Thier getting into aftermarket diesel performance and putting on a little car show for the grand openning. Figured my baby might drum up some business after people find out they installed the studs on warranty.

·
673 Posts
Head gasket confirmed on driverside cylinder #2. and possible #4 on passanger side. Niether of the leaks were very large. Just a slight wash of the soft seal. Had to really look to see that channeling to the water jacket(Thank god for carbon residue). Elite studs are in. Truck should be back together later on Monday. I will install the delete plates and delete pipe in the drive way and then the 275. Finally have my truck back. Oh. And they want me to display my truck at the dealership. Thier getting into aftermarket diesel performance and putting on a little car show for the grand openning. Figured my baby might drum up some business after people find out they installed the studs on warranty.
:guitar

1 - 20 of 27 Posts