The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would a good timing be for a 24 valve with a p pump, Ive had alot of people and shops tell me 16 to 19 but a couple tell me up to 25. Im having alot of trouble getting this thing to run right and wondered what others are at. Its at 21 right now.

·
4,158 Posts
It kinda depends what your going to use the truck for. And do you have your head studed and/or o-ring'd?

·
3,514 Posts
what other settings have you tried? I would personally start low and work your way up. Its kind of time consuming but it will vary from truck to truck, depending upon mods and what fuel you are using. I'd try running a lot closer to 16. Unless you have studs, I think that 21 is way too much. That will be pretty hard on the street.
Sean

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, they probably aren't very street friendly either. highest I've heard of on a 12v was about 26-28*. 16-18 should be good with moderate to semi high fuel. It may smoke a little more, but I think it will run and idle a lot smoother and be more drivable.
Sean

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya its not very good on the street, and thats all it will be used for. It is studded but not oringed, and has a pretty good pump on it and 155 bd injectors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is your pump stock? Has it been calibrated recently? What kind of drivability complaint do you have? It may not be a timing problem, there are other adjustments in the pump that effect drivability more.

·
Cummins Man
980 Posts
sstockton said:
Yeah, they probably aren't very street friendly either. highest I've heard of on a 12v was about 26-28*. 16-18 should be good with moderate to semi high fuel. It may smoke a little more, but I think it will run and idle a lot smoother and be more drivable.
Sean
600+hp daily driver. I have not heard any complaints about driveability.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Questions directed at Deere Puller

deere puller said:
What would a good timing be for a 24 valve with a p pump, Ive had alot of people and shops tell me 16 to 19 but a couple tell me up to 25. Im having alot of trouble getting this thing to run right and wondered what others are at. Its at 21 right now.

My previous questions were directed to the post that started the thread and the drivability part was related to the fact that deere puller says "Im having alot of trouble getting this thing to run right"

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pump is not stock, it was on a friends truck for a few months, but his was a 12v. It has bigger barrels and plungers, dif cam, and 4K gov springs, It ran good on his truck, but now is hard to start(has to be cranked alot longer than it should), when giving it light throttle it wnats to take off( like you are pushing alot harder than you are) jsut really jumpy, and it doesnt want to idle smooth part of the time. other than the pump, the motor has 50 horse injectors( which I have ordered new 155 ones but dont have them in yet, the old ones have alot of miles on them and jsut wonder if they are getting worn out and kinda think one may be sticking),and a hx 50 hybrid charger. thanks for any help

·
Registered
6 Posts
re

I would double check your timing,18 deg. would be ideal.We did a p-pump conv. on Dean Steinels 24 valve.timing @ 18 runs good,idles nice.

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I dont know, I had a brand new charger on it and the bearing went out with about 1 mile on it. So I havent been able to start it for a couple weeks, hopefully I will get it back by the weekend. I did change the injectors and that didnt change a thing as far as the idling goes, still idles like it has a big cam in it, thats not that big of a deal but the throttle response has to be fixed, its dangerous. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts