The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, i baught my 90 250 cummins for a work truck but i need a dually and am thinking about a 24v ex cab 4x4 dually with a stick, what my questions are is there anything i need to watch for? with the amount of money i want to spend it should have 125-175k miles, also if you know my you know it will get turned up lol, what combo of chip,injectors and clutch should i do for a good tower with enough get up and go to keep me happy?
robert
out

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
edge comp, afe stage 2, 5" exhaust and most important gauges. then if the comp is not enough throw in some stage 4 or 5 edge jammer nozzles and that should do it.

·
1,055 Posts
Don't forget a clutch, all those will kill the stocker. A f/p gauge is a must a 24 v.

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, I'm really happy with my set up, and I think with a manual you could do even better with fuel milage. I get about 22mpg at 65. I'm running a Drag comp, Rv275's, exhaust, intake and gauges, and a FASS as well. I have a friend with the same set up, except he has stage 3 jammers instead of the 275's, and he gets really hot towing. I can keep mine totally managable, Or you can go huge on injectors and toss a set of twins at the truck and have all the power you want.
Sean

·
706 Posts
F1 Mach 4's, Smarty,southbend clutch.Fuel pressure guage,Pyro and boost. Truck will have around 400 RWHP,and shouldnt have any EGT issues,since you arent adding fuel at the end(pump wire tap box).MITUSA or RASP lift pump when the time comes if you need a new transfer pump. Stay away from twin turbos unless you are willing to get into expensive and time consuming pulling the head,getting a new one or this one o ringed,and a set of studds.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Nobody mentioned this but, when looking at the used 24V trucks, do the key switch trick to see if the codes are thrown for the lift pump failure or injection pump problem. Also might want to check the block to see if its the -53 code block. Check for seepage of coolant on the passenger side of block as that's where cracks would show up. I would also check the head to block areas for seepage as well, around that milage the headgasket can be an issue. And of coarse check the 'play' on the turbo shaft.....

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, now can you explane this keyswitch trick?? also if i do smaller injectors like the 275's, and a smarty what would be a good turbo that is a step up from the stocker, but one that shouldn't kill the Head gasket?
robert
out

·
1,055 Posts
Turn the key from off to the on postion, not start three times as fast as possible. On the third time leave in in the on postion and in the odometer box it will show any codes that you have.

·
706 Posts
Key switch test only works on 2000 and newer models .If you do a search in the 24V section here,theres also lots of good info.

·
HOSS PERFORMANCE
248 Posts
i tried that key switch thing and it said pcu then --------- then done.

does that mean there were no codes as of right now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i think the 53 blocks were only a 98-99 thing,also have the fuel pressure tested before you buy it(should be around 12-14 idle).If the old owner was running it with a dying lift pump then the injection pump may be damaged.Inspect the ball joints and wheel bearings too these trucks are bad for them if not looked after.If everything checks out then get a fuel pressure guage immediately,not the lame light.As far as a fass goes they are good but pricey and they have their own sets of problems too.I would use a vulcan relocation kit its like 140 bucks and worth every penny,it moves the lift pump to the frame and nixes the banjo bolts entirely.The edge drag comp or regular comp is a proven box,and will let the truck get up and go nicely.i would look into a smarty downloader too.I just bought one and am waiting for it ,but everything I've heard about them is good.You should upgrade the clutch if you add some power items,southbend is one of the better ones if not the best.And the unltimate towing injector has to be a set of don m's machs.Probably a 1.6 or 2 :blah:

·
393 Posts
Start with the fuel system, as everyone is saying. Beyond that you have a lot of choices on combos that work for power. The comp is a good box but, the new juice with attitude for the 98-02 trucks would allow you to skip the gauges since they are in the attitude monitor.
If I were doing it I would start with gauges and the smarty. This will give you great driveability and timing for any injectors you please. Beyond this power you can add a fueling box without timing for more kick.
There are a bunch of turbos that will work.
South Bend is the clutch manufacturer of choice for most.
Stacks are good too!!!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys, i have to do something soon tired or using my brothers o6 to pull my trailer lol.
robert
out
97crewcab, are you going to come pull here this weekend june 3rd, and there is a pull in NE june 10th

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
or you could get a built auto and have a faster truck than yer 6.0 ;) LOL everything that was said sounds good! Don M's injectors are ledgend...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
faster than the 6.slow? ha ha ha ha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts