The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone else is having their trucks romping after being started and then put into gear (reverse or drive)?

After the cold weather surging issues from this past winter Nutty was nice enough to send me a 250 tune to test on my truck while he was perfecting the cold weather surging on the 210 tune for free, so I'm not complaining or anything like that. But, when I start up my truck, let it idle for 15 or 20 seconds and then put it into gear, it romps pretty badly until I let off of the brake pedal and begin going. It is kinda surprising to me as the tune did great in the cold winter temps, but now the temps are in the 50's, 60's, and even 70's sometimes it has started doing it. Just curious if it’s only me, or if others have had this happen as well. I loaded the 75 and the 150 tunes and all is well, and the 250 also runs awesome, it just romps at start-up.

Best,

Joe

·
2,183 Posts
sometimes when i start my truck and but it in drive and let it idle out of my parking spot at school it will do the same type of surging thing. It's quite odd. Like you can hear the truck surging and you can feel it goin back and forth

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Mine bucks pretty bad (jolts) when I let the clutch out slow when idling. I though it was the clutch. :popcorn

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
I think i know what your talking about. When you put it into gear and let it roll without touching the gas pedal the truck will jump, like a big block motor. and as soon as you give it some gas it goes away? Mine does this on the 210 tune.

·
2,183 Posts
yup thats it. I don't know if thats what the OP is talking about but that's something that my truck does

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
Mine does that with the 150 tune.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
I believe it happens to just about everyone. Nothing wrong, or anything to worry about. Makes me think im in a fast truck :thumbsup

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, this doesnt sound exactly as some have described, and in fact it only happens when the truck has been sitting for a long while and has cooled down. I would describe romping as the engine sounding like its going from an idle state to almost stalling the sound changes that much, over and over quickly.... hence why I used the term romping (romp...romp...romp...romp...romp...) but once I'm in gear or the truck is even semi warm all is well.

I expect it may just be the nature of the beast, but the funny thing is it never did it durring the winter when it was routinly 10 F or colder, but now that its warm and nice out it has started. Thats why I posted, curious I guess.

Best,

Joe

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
Yeah it sorta sounds like that, but hell it was 85* out yesturday and mine was doing it.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gahanna-6.4,

Yeah it is like that, just not quite that bad, but still very noticable. Also i've paid attention to the RPM's and they seem consistant, i'll have to take a look at the FRP today and see what it looks like.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
sounds quick though!!

Main - can you get us a video?

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts