The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a 2wd lo mod for the Dodge 2500. My FinL has a Dodge Ram. I just did this mod to my
Ford, it will sure make backing the trailer easier.
Thanks
Mike

·
3,514 Posts
There are ways to do it, but it depends on the year of the truck. Older trucks with the CAD (Center Axle Disconnect) used a vacuum operated system to engage the front end in 4wd. You can use a vacuum solenoid to shut the vacuum off and disable it Via a switch you can mount in the cab. however this still engages the transfercase into 4wd drive and the drive shaft will still spin, but I don't see that being a problem. You can also switch to a manual locking hubs set up, but those are roughly $1800 so you probably don't want to go that route.

Let us know what year the truck is and that will help us to help you.
Sean

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sstockton
The truck is a 1999 2500 5.9L Cummins TD.
Thanks again for the information.

·
497 Posts
Some of the 2002's must have had the CAD, or atleast mine does. I looked into the whole manual locking hubs when I had to rebuild my front axle. But I like the fact that I can pull the lever in the floor and everything goes in on it on, or is suppose too.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Interesting. I wasn't sure. The CAD less Dodge Dana 60's must be a rare thing then. Maybe :shrug:

I've worked underneath alot of Dodge Cummins, not so much on the Dana 60's themselves. But just being underneath them for whatever reason, mostly tranys. Mine is the only one I've noticed that didn't have the CAD system. Me and MoparMan might be the only ones on the site, so for, w/o the CAD system on our Dodge Dana 60's.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sean
Where is the vacuum solenoid hom many wires and wich one can be used to switch the vacuum solenoid .

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Phily 911 said:
Interesting. I wasn't sure. The CAD less Dodge Dana 60's must be a rare thing then. Maybe :shrug:

I've worked underneath alot of Dodge Cummins, not so much on the Dana 60's themselves. But just being underneath them for whatever reason, mostly tranys. Mine is the only one I've noticed that didn't have the CAD system. Me and MoparMan might be the only ones on the site, so for, w/o the CAD system on our Dodge Dana 60's.
I'm not exactly sure of when CAD started and ended... But I know that 2002 model truck DID NOT have it (at least the one I've been around)... Then going back to 1996 they DID have it..

Some of the 2002's must have had the CAD, or atleast mine does. I looked into the whole manual locking hubs when I had to rebuild my front axle. But I like the fact that I can pull the lever in the floor and everything goes in on it on, or is suppose too.
Weird... I've never seen one on a 2002 model yet... (scratch head to about statement...)

·
99 cummins
160 Posts
i like the lock in lock outs myself. they have alot of other advantages too.

·
307 Posts
When I bought my 99 the four wheel drive didn't work. The problem was the drive shaft actuator motor, the t-case would still lock in and the front drive shaft would turn but, it wouldn't lock in the front end.....

So, if you found the wire that operated the actuator motor and maybe hooked it to a switch that was grounded you most likely would be able to keep the front end free from locking in, while still having it in low. :Thumbup:

Give it a try and most likely it will work. I think....:sofa

on edit: The actuator motor is on the passenger side of the front end. Pretty easy to get to.

·
3,514 Posts
customdeluxe78 said:
i like the lock in lock outs myself. they have alot of other advantages too.
So do I, but the disadvantage is the price. Maybe someday I'll get a set but it will be a little while.

As for a vacuum solenoid, I've only done this on a 12v. We used the Vacuum solenoid that came stock as part of the EGR system. Since we were taking that off anyways, we just pulled it off, and plumbed it in line. I'm not sure where you can get one that works, but I would imagine most auto parts stores carry them.
Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts