The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
My sons 97 7.3 blew the 30amp glow plug fuse a week ago. Replaced fuse and all was good. Blew again last nite. When I put in a new fuse it blew instantly. Fuel bowl heater bad??? Wires look fine.
Tks

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Sounds like a bad relay or a wicked short somewhere. There should be a procedure for testing the circuits you're dealing with to find the issue. My service DVDs don't go back that far.

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Idaho. I did some looking around on you tube and found that the fuel bowl heater is common to short out. I unplugged it and truck is good for now. Even before this if it was below 20deg or so and truck wasn't plugged in it wouldn't start. Glowplug relay looks new so im thinking the plugs themselves are bad. 235k on clock.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Can also be wiring issues at the valve cover gasket. If you plan in starting with replacing the glow plugs, check the wiring and valve cover gaskets closely, use an ohm meter and gently move the wires around while they are on the meter watching the resistance for any significant change or shorts (loss of continuity).

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sooo. Relay was bad, glowplus worn out and fuel bowl heater broken and shorting out. Replaced everything and the harnesses under the valve covers. Cam sensor was bad too so replaced it. Runs like a top now. Even with the high miles I hope to get some years out of this 7.3.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts