1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Highway to Hell
1,022 Posts
Nice. We are having troubles with a 3116 also. We have air in the fuel system

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As many man hours the old man put into this thing, I told him to rent it to Cat across the street from us to get his money out of it.. :haha

·
3,533 Posts
Nice job.

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
worked like a charm! had to take the injector rocker off and put the rest of the assembly back on. 380 psi on #1 and 400 psi on the rest. Mechanic working on it thinks the injector rocker was holding it open maybe thats the prolem.

·
3,533 Posts
I would do a cylinder leak down test, at TDC and BTC.
Just a thought!

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it was getting real hard to start. The idiots in the yard where using etheron it in the summer. So our new mechanic (that actually came from Altolfer) is working on it. He recut the cups ( or reshaped them ) with the use of cats tools. We then bought REMAN injectors and had 2 bad ones and took them back. So now at an idle its over fueling if u step on the pedal it turns black. But at an idle it is over fueling so bad that the muffler is filling up with raw fuel. The infra-red heat gun shows that # 1 is 100 degrees cooler than the rest. We now think that the injector rocker is set to tight or may be hanging up a little. We did swap injectors around and #1 still shows signs of being cooler than the rest. He has already did the same thing to another loader at the same time and its done already. The other one got a new fuel pump and both got the fuel return check valve replaced..

·
Highway to Hell
1,022 Posts
We were having a problem with the truck not starting also. every time it turned off it would louse prime. Checked for air leakes, changed check valve orings etc.. still was a PITA to start. I then pulled the feed and retrun lines and primed it out of a bucket. still was hard to start. Once I got it running the return was pushing out foam. We tore into the injectors and found that # 2 and 6 were acting up. We think we have it figured out. I was not at the shop today but the mechanic said that they replaced cups and will need to set the injector hights. something about a dropped injector? Dont know what that means, as all the injectors I have ever put in just bottom into the housing and then you bolt them in..simple!

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
One quirk with 3116 injectors they don't take much to dropped out if you set the rockers too tight it basically the same way with old detorits too tight either you will bend the needle valve or plunger or worst blow the tip right out.

For hard starting there is a check valve inside the unit injector and they are designed to go one way not the other way around and also with hard starting you may have weak holdback spring { the injector shop will have calberating stand to check the pop off pressure to make sure it is right on specs }

As far for 3116 mech verison make sure you rack them in proper way if not it will either not start or damage the engine.

Electronic verison of 3116 are not too bad but stil have basic same rules with mech verison do not set the rockers too tight as well.

Merci.
Marc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts