The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
HAYMAFIA
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 86 freightliner. glovebox shows it has a 315 cummins in it. what is the difference in this engine and the 400. i have put a number 5 fuel button in it and it runs alot better. what else can i do to this engine to get decent power out of her?

·
Registered
489 Posts
i have a 86 freightliner. glovebox shows it has a 315 cummins in it. what is the difference in this engine and the 400. i have put a number 5 fuel button in it and it runs alot better. what else can i do to this engine to get decent power out of her?
:damnitcome on man!!:damnito save time and make for more complete answers please include details about truck model and year, approximate mileage, truck use, what you are trying do and what your goals are.

When looking for Cat info please state year, engine model, serial number and (possibly) arrangement number, we are not being snoopy, we need that to look up specs.

For Cummins we need year, (possible) serial number, model number and CPL.

For Detroit we need year, engine type, model number from valve cover and serial number.

For Gear Train questions we need trans or axle make and models, capacity and year. Truck model helps also. If you have questions about gearing please include application; i.e. heavy haul, off-road, long-haul etc. as well as engine, trans and tire size.

For chassis electrical include truck make, model and year, and the problem you are trying to fix.

Thank you for helping us help you

·
168 Posts
In the late 90s I drove truck with a 315 BC4 and a 9 speed. Id did just fine with 80K gross weights and got "fin-nom-in-all" mileage. It had a gauge on the dash that showed mpgs in real time and if I was gaining or losing. It challenged me every day to get better and I finally got it up to 10.4 while pulling an empty reefer. I wouldnt mind owning one like it today.

·
HAYMAFIA
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i want to know the difference in the 315 and the 400 Big Cam engines. i don't have the cpl. the year is a 86.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
i want to know the difference in the 315 and the 400 Big Cam engines. i don't have the cpl. the year is a 86.
Higher compression, slower cam, smaller injectors, slower timing, smaller gov spring, smaller damper, smaller clutch. Possibly shorter rocker arms (by CPL only) ;)

·
HAYMAFIA
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for the reply. can i put injectors from a 400 in it? also will the higher compression build more power? does it help the cummins to advance the timing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts