The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to turn up this 3176 it's stock right know @325 as far as i know does anyone know where i can get this done at any info would be helpful it's in a 93 fld112 also have code 2 4 don't know what that means

·
89 Posts
your going to need a mechanic with CAT software to read the codes paramaters usually are password protected 350hp is max on the hp

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
:whs

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you know any body around that will do it nobody around here will do it how can i get more than 350 pony's out of it

·
89 Posts
350 will be the highest setting in the ecm you might upgrade injectors and turbo and get some more out of it it was rated for 425hp in industrial apps. non-continous use remember your only playing with 625ci motor and 350 is about all it will take and be reliable day in day out

·
Registered
252 Posts
The passwords are expensive and only dealers can get them, and then flash your computer with it. Because we have to go threw a big process to get the flash files and they can expensive. That is for the equipment, so i know the truck service has to do the same.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah for 25 pony's it $900 **** that i'll live with low power for that price i'm always slow i guess i'll always be slow unless u guys know some low budget tricks i'm up for anything. Thanks guys

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah for 25 pony's it $900 screw that i'll live with low power for that price i'm always slow i guess i'll always be slow unless u guys know some low budget tricks i'm up for anything. Thanks guys

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
Mack427 said:
I dont think I would call a 3176B junk most make 18000hrs in Cat 65's 11.1 Detroit Junk? yes
When we were looking at 65E's I had a cat mechanic tell me that in California on those big farms those engines would run 20000 hours. I think they are allright in a truck, and good in a challenger. Certinally not junk. The Detroit on the other hand LOL LOL .

·
1,138 Posts
For a long life work truck engine that is called a junk engine and i would not try to get a upgrade which i dont think you can get and it will have to come from cat or change ecm from a nother then you will have to time the engine to that ecm and if you use one of these chips that some advertise then you can exspecta problem because they alter the timing to get a real fast timing and that is no good. Leave along and it will last much longer. I have worked on these little junky engine alot and no good comes out off messing with them. They already have good power for a 10L engine.If it is down on power there may be aproblem and you need to read the codes before you go any futher.I can tell you there can be a lot of things causing low power.

·
Registered
28 Posts
cost effective solution

you could get a stock trailer and go to a minniture horse auction, the minni's are small so you should be able to pack a bunch of them ponies in there :) , i have the same problem

·
1,138 Posts
Guys i am telling you that little engine is no good for a cross country trucks but for local and a machine maybe ok but ask some one that has had some for a while or some fleets used them for alittle bit till the c12 came out then if the little 1676 was still under waranty then cat would replace the thing with a c10 or c12 if the head had to come off. A o/o can not own one of them because of the cost of putting a head gasket on one is better than 4000.00 at a truck dealer. To put a head gasket on one the radiator comes out so the cam can come out so you can get the cylinder/crankcase housing off of the crankcase to reseal to the crankcase. That is a problem design and cat should have to eat ever one that goes down.

·
88 Posts
The 3176 is basicly a C12 cat. But smaller, And the 3176 is a mechanical motor. The C12 is a eletronic engine. Turning the screws on the fuel pump should help a little.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Hotrodx199 said:
The 3176 is basicly a C12 cat. But smaller, And the 3176 is a mechanical motor. The C12 is a eletronic engine. Turning the screws on the fuel pump should help a little.
Don't take offence bro, but you really need to read up before posting to some (or most) of these threads. The 3176 is a 76B with an aluminum spacer deck, the 3176B IS a C12, only the name was changed to protect the innocent ;-). They were never mechanical...T

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
Okay , out of curiostiy scince the 3176B is the same as a c-12. What makes the 3176's so much worse. Im not right bright about engines, I just dont quite get that.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
KWT800 said:
Okay , out of curiostiy scince the 3176B is the same as a c-12. What makes the 3176's so much worse. Im not right bright about engines, I just dont quite get that.
I guess that's a question on what you consider worse. We really don’t even have to go into the technical side. The 3176 came out in 89. I was there for the unveiling, and worked on the dam things for the next year. It was a POS like every other first run motor out there. I mean every one. The valve and pushtube thing was addressed in the first 6 months, the leaks, over the next couple years, and really didn’t start to clean up till they dumped the spacer deck (3176B). It’s still running now, and will meet tier III as is, so it’ll still be around (as the C13 or C11) for years to come. There’s a gazillion of them out there, and rarely do you find one split or sittin rotting, unless someone did something stupid with it. I have several customers who have millions on them, on the third inframe, and they still do fine. It ain’t a big horse, but they get good mileage and have Cat torq, even for a small block. The only dif in the 76B and the C12 is the add of the crank sensor and fine tuning the fuel. Aside from another T stat, the black valve covers are it. I stayed out of this thread cause everyone likes whatever for whatever, but you can’t knock the 700 cube kitty. Now they do 470 at 1750ftlb, and get upper 5’s to mid 6’s still. I just can’t knock em, specially at $4/gln. Sorry bro…T

1 - 20 of 39 Posts