The Diesel Garage banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
1,138 Posts
Ant tell any one that their wrong but the 3176and 3176 had aspacer plate and when they got rid of it it was called a c12 and it was more cid also and the c12 is a good engine but has oil leaks after some time but it can have good power and so did the 3176 have ggod power for a 10 L engine but had a bad design to work on and when it was used for a road truck and mash on all day and night they could not take it.It would shake the air compressor off or shake front cover lose and when they blow a head gasket you would have to pull rad. and cam to get the spacer plate off to reseal or for sure it was going to leak and on top of that you cant clean and tap the head bolts with the plate on. Then if the engine did stay together it was always put in a short hood were you cant get to the back vere good which ant the engines fault but the salesmen that speced them for a cross country truck messed up. Then the c12 was bad on rollers and cams and the rocher bolts was bad to come lose and their injectors was not as good as the e model or c15 injector.

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
I feel the same way about my C12 I just cant knock the thing.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
theakerstwo said:
Ant tell any one that their wrong but the 3176and 3176 had aspacer plate and when they got rid of it it was called a c12 and it was more cid also and the c12 is a good engine but has oil leaks after some time but it can have good power and so did the 3176 have ggod power for a 10 L engine but had a bad design to work on and when it was used for a road truck and mash on all day and night they could not take it.It would shake the air compressor off or shake front cover lose and when they blow a head gasket you would have to pull rad. and cam to get the spacer plate off to reseal or for sure it was going to leak and on top of that you cant clean and tap the head bolts with the plate on. Then if the engine did stay together it was always put in a short hood were you cant get to the back vere good which ant the engines fault but the salesmen that speced them for a cross country truck messed up. Then the c12 was bad on rollers and cams and the rocher bolts was bad to come lose and their injectors was not as good as the e model or c15 injector.
Uh, wow. This is why I stayed out of this thread...T

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I like the truck i like the motor i just need some more power i haul grain steel and fertalizer and starting an stopping in the hills with a 9 speed i don't stand a chance i'm not lookin for a hotrod i just need alittle more juice this engine is not very old i do have a couple codes 24 an 27 don't know what they are maybe thats it maybe not

·
1,138 Posts
The code 24 is oil pressure sensor (fault in the sensor or harness
The code is 27 is a engine coolant sensor (fault in the sensor or harness)
It may be shorted to frame or the harness wires could be shorted to each other.

·
Registered
152 Posts
it sounds like a joke, I had a broken motor, a 550e and I swiched in a bad computer 3176, and everything was ok, but I got surprised it had a lot of power and a lot of smoke like a rodeo du camion, I was afraid of this and I used for three weeks only, y I took it off again

·
1,138 Posts
pichu said:
it sounds like a joke, I had a broken motor, a 550e and I swiched in a bad computer 3176, and everything was ok, but I got surprised it had a lot of power and a lot of smoke like a rodeo du camion, I was afraid of this and I used for three weeks only, y I took it off again
i think you said you put a 3176 ecm on a emodel or the other way around??
If so had did you do your connectors for connecting the harness?

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
pichu said:
yes,exact back word, i switch 3406 e 5ck ,550hp ecm ,to another 3176 b 350hp the plugs are same just ecm inside differ,paramets, i learn something more but no sujjest, make alot smoke
Unless you had it on a Cat board a re-assigned all parameters including reluctor wheel count and sensor designation, this is highly unlikely (or moreover, completely impossible as a bolt on)...T

·
Registered
152 Posts
belive it or not i am not a mechanic or a tech...i am a trucker..i only switched the ecm's...i dont know anything about parameter...i learned that after i took it to the cat dealer...and they explained it to me and modified it and they converted it to 3176.the plugs are the same and the diesel fitting are the same aswell. i have never heard anything in any shops,truck stops,and no other forum of what i have done....i just wanna share my experience...i did it around 5 years ago

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
pichu said:
belive it or not i am not a mechanic or a tech...i am a trucker..i only switched the ecm's...i dont know anything about parameter...i learned that after i took it to the cat dealer...and they explained it to me and modified it and they converted it to 3176.the plugs are the same and the diesel fitting are the same aswell. i have never heard anything in any shops,truck stops,and no other forum of what i have done....i just wanna share my experience...i did it around 5 years ago
Oh I totally believe it. But as you said, it would have to be benched at a Cat dealer. Cat has used most of the various forms of Deutsch connectors since they went electronic, and have always used #5 JIC fittings on all there motors...T

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess it would be possible if the plugs matched, the only differnce in the ecms would have been the flash, but they would still have a similar setup, just the parameters would have been alittle off, did you get the ecm from a truck shop or did you pull it off yourself?

·
Registered
1 Posts
that engine is junk so i would not do any thing other than get rid of it.
That’s funny lol. It may be slow but mine has 2.1 million miles on it and still rolling from Chicago to Phoenix to Nogales to the Bronx back to Chicago and repeat every week. And it averages right around 7 miles per gallon. So what if I get passed by absolutely everything climbing a grade, the truck is paid for, on paper logs, and makes money. The worst thing about it is finding parts for a 30 year old truck, but that being said I swapped the turbo in the parking lot of the truck stop, no programming required... sounds like Junk?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts