The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 3406A (direct inject) in a 1982 Steiger farm tractor set at 360HP. I would like to get it to at least 400HP (Highest factory setting in these tractors). I found the rack screw with no problem and turned it out a couple turns. I got a little more "pep" out of it but not more than maybe 20 HP at the max. Looking for more, I backed it out another couple turns and didn't get any more power (same boost and EGT's).

Fuel pressure is good. Injection pump doesn't have an AFC so that isn't my problem either. Tractor pulls like it should, I would guess that it is setting just shy of 400 HP - 380 to 390ish. I read on another forum that Cat used different injectors in 350HP A models than in the 400 HP A models. Is this true? If yes, does anybody have the part number for 400 HP A model injectors? Are there any larger injectors than the 400 HP ones?

If possible, I would like to reach 500 HP but 450 would be fine. This tractor has plenty of radiator, transmission, and axles and I'm not opposed to swapping on a different turbo.

An engine swap isn't in my future either as with 7,000 hours, this engine is nearly new (7,000 hours in a truck is like what, 250K miles?) and we rolled bearings in it about 1,000 hours ago when we had to update the liner O-rings. The bearings and the liners all looked good as new. If we could squeeze a few more HP out of this old beast it would help justify keeping it around instead of trading it off on a newer, more complex tractor that costs way more.

Thoughts?

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a 400 HP version offered. I don't know of any though and the Case (bought out Steiger in the 80's) dealer has no idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts