The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been around most all Cat truck motors since the 80s but I'm having trouble with a 3406B I've never experienced before. Its out of an exCF Freightliner and is only 285 hp but still a 7FB. It sounded good in the Shaker (no exhaust so didn't hear everything) and ran fine up and down my driveway. Stuck it in another truck and now with exhaust it has what I would call a rattle. You rev it and as it comes back down it rattles but it seems to be in the fuel lines. Its more noticeable driving it on the road. Stick a screwdriver to the lines and you can hear the injectors knocking and even the lines shake. I tried new injectors (noise didn't go away) but got a bad one (made it 10 miles before it blew) so went back to the originals. I stuck new bearings in it before setting it in. I went thru the overhead and 3 valves very slightly out. Swapped the timing advance with a used (and known to be good) one and its still rattles. I pinned it so yeah, timing could be off a tad but I have never heard this noise before. It has the small 3424 injectors and the stock turbo. I ran the screws out of the pump before even starting it in the new truck but after hearing it ran them back in and it still has the noise. Kinda stumped. View attachment 45605

1 - 1 of 1 Posts