The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel and torque screws seem to be adjusted so that when I push them both in there is no additional travel for the fuel screw against the torque spring. I think at some time someone who didn't know what they were doing has worked their magic in there. Should I back the fuel screw out a little? How far? It is a 4MG with a turbo and 20% over injectors from Diesel Injection of Pittsburgh. Generates about 27-30 lbs. of boost and runs at 950 or less EGT. Smokes a little more than I like at take off and when accelerating after gear change. Is that the fuel ratio adjustment on the top of the governor where the air line from the intake goes in?

Any education on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
My fuel and torque screws seem to be adjusted so that when I push them both in there is no additional travel for the fuel screw against the torque spring. I think at some time someone who didn't know what they were doing has worked their magic in there. Should I back the fuel screw out a little? How far? It is a 4MG with a turbo and 20% over injectors from Diesel Injection of Pittsburgh. Generates about 27-30 lbs. of boost and runs at 950 or less EGT. Smokes a little more than I like at take off and when accelerating after gear change. Is that the fuel ratio adjustment on the top of the governor where the air line from the intake goes in?

Any education on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27097

The smoke is timing. AF/C is only shift smoke. Bump it up 1.5* over stock for every 10% over on nozzles. http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65347 ;)

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response YNOT. Is there a way to increase the advance, as you suggested, using the pin/field method? Or, should I spend the money to have it done with the correct gauges at the Cat shop? If so, what should I tell him I want it timed to on my engine, 4MG13254. I read the two threads you put in your reply. Excellent instruction, thank you! I just wasn't sure if the advance instructions in the thread were applicable to my specific engine. Thank you again for your advice and sharing your knowledge. Anything else I can learn about my specific engine is appreciated

·
Registered
489 Posts
Anything else I can learn about my specific engine is appreciated
:read1. you need to work starting with your fueltank ,change the 1/2 to 3/4 valve
:read2.change the hose to 10 to 12 ,now where at the primary filter your going to have to buy elbows ,but in the middle your going to have to make a hole bigger with a drill (just next side bit)dont put 90 degree only put 45 or straight
:read3.now where going to the transfer pump change it to #8 ,i think this wont change ,exit the transfer pump ,change the number 8 ,you also need to buy some feetings also make a bigger hole with a next bit
:read4.now we have the prime pump ,take the valves form there (i always have a spare all the time if im out of diesel )
:read5.change the hose that goes to the pump to #8 ,you also need to buy another feeting again make the the hole bigger
:read6.you can see the cap of the pump ,find another cap, but this cap you need to cut it with plasma around the holes ,buy two gasket and a buy bolts large (do not touch the reverse of the diesel)just check if not plugged
:read7.for the manifold you can get a grinder (mototool)the sandpaper and you can shine the insides
:read8.turbo. if possible take the 90 degree elbow and find a 45 (coldpart)get the same mototool with sandpaper around take all the bad metal texture and leave it well shined .try to take all the bad stuff from the turbo
:read9.Hotside turbo changed the 5 change the elbow to the 90 to 45 ,but to 6 inches ,so it wont form back-pressure
:read10.put two air filter
:read11.take the hose from the compressor to the intake manifold and put it the same hose more longer between the turbo and air filter
:read12.all this will help you to find a decent horse power without punishment the motor :happymugs:woot:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts