The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas, I am looking at buying a 3406B off of a local guy I know for a truck I will be building. No where can the serial number be found. I looked in all the places. What I'm told is it's a 1989 425hp. What info I do have is: Air to air, injection pump 7W3906, Jake assembly C346, Turbo OR6950, Head 1105100 and timing cover has the big cone. I believe it's a later 4MG. Problem is with no serial number the CAT dealership I spoke with told me I can't order parts. Not sure what to do. Can the engine be better identified after tearing the engine down? Thanks

·
93 Posts
Can you get the VIN from the truck that the engine came out of?
You might be able to get the engine serial number from the build sheet.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention, the truck is an 84 Peterbilt. Different engine was put in down the road so that wouldn't help

·
26 Posts
You're right most likely a 4mg, year, fuel pump casting # and later timing adv group sounds about right for a 4MG.
IPD makes a nice two piece steel top 14.6 comp piston kit for those, not to pricie youll need to change the piston cooling jets to dual and spring retainer on oil pump.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I shouldn't worry if I can't find a serial number? Just make it to what I want? He also has an engine that I ran on SIS and it days it's a CARB engine. 89 4mg engine. Same thing right, just change the pistons and of course other things and I can make it what I want? I thought about making him an offer on both

1 - 6 of 6 Posts