The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted in another section but i believe was the wrong forum, couldn't delete sorry.

ill make it as short as i can,

I made a trip to Wisconsin with low boost, running the heck out of it just to pull around 11 psi. get to my stop and shut off for the night, wake up the next morning and go to start my truck an it starts rolling white smoke, check engine light temporarily comes on then goes off. after idling for 5 minutes it quits smoking then engine light goes out. i unload then decided to try and make it 7 hours home without a load so i could fix on my own time. get 5 minutes down the road and check engine light comes back on, i pull over shut it off inspect it for any obvious leaks broken belts etc, see no issue so i decide to limp it over to a dealership. get to the dealership and get out to go inside and notice theres a massive puddle of oil under my truck, quickly shut it off and notice a hole in my timing advance cap. leave it with them for a week and they replace my air cooler, which had a hole in it causing my low boost, and replace timing advance cap and the spool inside that had blow apart. but they tell me it still rolls white smoke when first starts and they cant figure out why. mechanic tells me he check the timing but still couldn't understand why it was smoking. so i pick it up, drive it home without a load and it seems fine but i really wanted to get rid of the smoking at start up. so i talk to a few people who believe it could be the injectors stuck open, so i pull them out and have them tested at a local cat dealership. all of them cracked at 2200psi so they were fine. i put them back in and decided to make a load. when i grab the load, the truck is extremely weak on all hill grades but will run a straight line perfectly fine.

in short, when i start it up rolls white smoke and you cant even touch the throttle or it'll get worse an start popping and sputtering. smells like un burnt fuel, doesn't lose any coolant. after it warms up which takes about 45 minutes of idling, the smoke goes away and i can finally drive it. if anyone has any solutions i would greatly appreciate it.

{1993 Kenworth w900 3406c 4CK12399 engine Half mechanical half electronical pump}

posted in another section but i believe was the wrong forum, couldn't delete sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you check your oil tank ??
If you mean checked to see if i have oil yes daily, but i haven't dropped the pan and checked inside it. one thing i did notice on my gauges though, my oil psi runs about 40, 45 when hot and going down the road. at idle after warmed up its like 25. and the oil temp is cool as could be at 150 degrees even after running it for 11 hours. maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
93 KW W900. Cat 4CK conv.
3 Posts
I've seen your post and I have been though quite a bit of difficulty with my engine also,,,,, and ever time it was the advance unit in front of the pump,,,,, I have done the full conversation to full mechanical,,,, I have uses the cone type adv unit and the top half adv unit,,,, and still having issues,,,, now I'm trying to get the information from a individual who has done this,,,,on the advance unit that was used when it was electronic,,,is supposed to be the best of the Three,,,,, but it has to be modified to be able to use,,,, hopefully soon someone will be forthcoming with the information that I need
Best of luck to you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts